Author Topic: Missing words from headstone epitaph  (Read 706 times)

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Missing words from headstone epitaph
« on: Monday 09 July 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
My wife and I were dismayed to find that the attentions of a grass management machine had all but obscured the words on her ancestor's headstone at St James's churchyard Biddenham when we returned to it last week. Fortunately we had transcribed most of what was legible three years ago but would now greatly appreciate any suggestions for the words we weren't able to read then and certainly unable to do so now.

Beneath this stone lies buried here,
a lover of her children dear.
It pleases God to take her hence,
to render her ........ recompence ....... sincere friend,
summoned to her peaceful (end?)
(Her?) husband mourns for her .......
But hopes to meet in Heaven.

Michael.

Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing words from headstone epitaph
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:12 BST (UK) »
Anything would be speculation, without seeing the headstone.
Do you have a pic?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
That Churchyard is on the Find a Grave website.  Presumably you have checked it so see if anyone has put the image on their??

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
Bedfordshire FHS have transcribed the MIs for Biddenham - they're available either on their own on microfiche, or as part of a parish CD which also includes transcripts of the PRs and 1851 census.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ouse who

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments. Sadly I didn't take a photograph - I thought I had. I photographed it in 2014 when the headstone was vertical and flush with the footstone. The epitaph was not visible then because the footstone covered the words.

Subsequent to that visit the headstone I guess had fallen and/or been repositioned for safety, and now lies with its face level with the grass which is how we got to see the epitaph at all.

Thanks Arthur for the advice about the Bedfordshire FHS MIs, with a bit of luck they will have been compiled before the headstone was closed up to the footstone  :)

Kind regards, Michael.
Bedfordshire: Albone, Brightman, Bowler, Hutchings, Islip, Johnson, Kidman,  Maynard, Pugh, Purser, Sharman, Thickpenny, Underwood, Young.
Devon: Banston, Blunt, Fisher, May, Parnell, Palmer, Rundle, Saunders.
Monmouthshire: Blunt