Author Topic: Thomas Williams, Llanfilo, Brecon, Wales  (Read 646 times)

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Williams, Llanfilo, Brecon, Wales
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for help finding the Parents or Grandparents of Thomas Williams, some documents show a middle name as “Wheller”, born around 1770, I believe the family lived in or around Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales. Thomas was tried in the The Court of Great Session, Wales, Brecon Great Sessions and found guilty on 28th March 1801, sentenced to 14 years. He served time on the Hulk “Captivity” prior to being transported on the “Calcutta” to Australia.  He arrived at Port Phillip in 1803, then moved to Hobart Town, Van Diemen’s Land in 1804 where he married Frances Reardon in 1808. I have a lot of information from then on, but I can’t seem to find his Parents or confirm where he was born. I would like to trace his history further back but I have become stuck at the trial date. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated. Can anybody help with finding his parent or grand parents?

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams, Llanfilo, Brecon, Wales
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hhmm, well I have found a baptism for a Thomas Williams on 17 September 1771 at Llangathen, father is William Williams.

The shortest walking distance between Llangathen and Llandeilo is 3.8 miles.

So this could be a possibility.

There may be a Rootschatter who has better access to baptisms in Carmarthenshire and can find a more likely one.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 01:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help, any input will be much appreciated. There are hundreds of documents after his trial at Brecon, but he appears very difficult to trace prior to that. I have looked back at his convict days and found a convict document with a Town and a Shire written on it.
The Shire appears to be “Brecknock”, but I can’t read the writing for the town. I have attached a copy if anybody is able to help. Regards

Offline emily_b85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 22 17:14 BST (UK) »
I believe that town says Llanwillough. I have seen some reference to Llanwillow but it must have changed name since, and cannot find much else in terms of old maps of Wales.

I believe Thomas Wheller/Wheeler/Whellan Williams’ parents were Mary Wheeler (9 Feb 1747-25 Nov 1790) and William Thomas Cowin Williams (1745-12 Jul 1798, died in Llanfilo/Llanvilo).

I’ve seen online the marriage certificate between William Williams and Mary Wheeler is 24 Nov 1766 at St Clement Danes, Westminster, England.