Author Topic: James MCGUIRE in Bruce, Ontario missing death/census records  (Read 1021 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James MCGUIRE in Bruce, Ontario missing death/census records
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to trace James MCGUIRE. He was born between 1842-1846 in either Ireland or Nova Scotia. He married Wilhelmina Jane MacGregor in 1862 in Brant Methodist Church, and was a resident of Kincardine. He was Methodist or Church of England depending on the census. Per the 1862 record, his parents were John and Jane.

I last found James in 1901 in Eastnor, Bruce, Ontario with his wife (she goes by both Willena AND Jane and often gets mistranscribed) and some younger children. He is in Kinloss Twp in Bruce County in 1871 and 1881.

I cannot find his death record. Complicating matters is that there were other James McGuires nearby, one in Brant and one in Owen Sound.

I also cannot locate James in 1851, 1861, and 1891 census records.

I would love any help/insight. I believe James may be a half-sibling of one of my ancestors, but am hunting for proof.

Thank you!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James MCGUIRE in Bruce, Ontario missing death/census records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
1901 Census says born in Ireland, immigrated to Canada in 1848. In this census, he is Presbyterian.

There is the death of a James McGuire in Lion's Head (Eastnor) in 1907, aged 74 , born Ireland.  They were in Lion's Head in the 1901 Census.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks - this looks like it is probably him but I am confused as to why his birth date would be listed so far off - 1833 whereas it’s between 1843-1848 in other records.

Strangely he also says he was born in Nova Scotia on his marriage record.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
The informant was the doctor, so he may not have known for sure.  Perhaps his cemetery stone may have more info?

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
The informant was the doctor, so he may not have known for sure.  Perhaps his cemetery stone may have more info?

You would think, but it doesn’t seem to exist. I have a cottage in Lions Head and my grandparents are buried there along with several preceding generations and I have never seen a McGuire tombstone. (It’s not a big cemetery). Didn’t find one on GenWeb either. Alas :(

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
When did the wife die?  Perhaps her death certificate will tell you where they are buried?  And not everybody had a stone, so perhaps the cemetery caretaker knows where the burial records are kept.  Hubby's family was from Hepworth so same neck of the woods.