Author Topic: HOGGARD Henry born 1820 Walesby  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Mansfield Gal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HOGGARD Henry born 1820 Walesby
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Henry was born to parents John Hoggard and Mary Gabbitas in 1820 Walesby

in 1841 he immigrated to New South Wales, Assisted Passenger List 1828-1896. He arrived in Sydney 7 September 1841 single, Protestant and occupation BLACKSMITH

my problem I cannot find a death for him - with help from a member in Rootschat and Trove - I have found some info from the General Post Office for uncollected mail  - 1850 and 1868 - but whether this is my Henry I do not know
I have tried searching for marriages and deaths in au, and new Zealand - I also tried passenger lists back to uk but drawing a blank there. 
Under family notices in Trove - there are heaps of Hoggard's mentioned but nothing matching what I have already -
Anyway thanx in advance - hoping someone might have better luck than me
Descendants of Maternal grandparents: Sidney Bowskill and Hilda Hallam: Paternal Grandparents: Leslie England and Mabel Hoggard - Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, and Yorkshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOGGARD Henry born 1820 Walesby
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this death?
HOGGETT  Henry
12519/1885
Aged 67 YEARS
Died The Namoi,
COONABARABRAN

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mansfield Gal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
No  :( I am so new to researching Australian records - I am so used to playing in the uk - been doing that for the last 15 years - until I started researching this family yee gawds  ??? ???

thank you - I will now look at this  :)
Descendants of Maternal grandparents: Sidney Bowskill and Hilda Hallam: Paternal Grandparents: Leslie England and Mabel Hoggard - Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, and Yorkshire

Offline Mansfield Gal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
ugghhhh
I don't know what I am doing wrong

I went into ancestry changed from uk to au put henry's details in like his birth year and the year of death and place and I am getting nothing.....

Offline Mansfield Gal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
I am a dork - it was the spelling of the surname that through me

thank you  :) :) :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 01:50 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1878,  THE BOGAN
In police district of Cannonbar
Henry HOGGARD, of Haddourigg, residence, Marthaguy Creek

I confirm that these electoral rolls, and many others are NOT available via Ancestry.   Coonabarabran - a post town in that district.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Mansfield Gal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 02:32 BST (UK) »
Wow!! I am blown away - that will take some time to digest

I have gone through the passenger list - and learnt that he is one 5 blacksmiths, 1 of 8 from Nottinghamshire and from this site -  https://www.jenwilletts.com it appears that they were heading to the Hunter Valley region.

I have also gone one step further and I have sent an enquiry to the Australian national archives as to travel to Australia he required a certificate - I can' make heads or tails regarding the bounty of 19, and that he could read and write. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 02:57 BST (UK) »
NSW State Archives hold the passenger lists, including digitised 1828-1896.  (free to search etc)

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-and-shipping/guides

JM