Author Topic: Fatal Accident  (Read 1532 times)

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Fatal Accident
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out details of a serious  road traffic accident which happened on 3rd July 1979 in Campbeltown.  The driver was Basil Arthur Cornwell who I believe died at the scene and his passenger, his wife  Marie, who survived. They were airlifted to Southern General Hospital Glasgow. They came from Brighton and were on holiday in Scotland.

Information of where I might find details of coroners report would be greatly appreciated, or any other information.  Many thanks.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Fatal Accident
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
You will not find any coroners' reports, because there are no coroners in Scotland. Nor would there have been an inquest, because there is no such thing as an inquest in Scotland.

There might have been a Fatal Accident Inquiry, if the Procurator Fiscal deemed it necessary for any reason. See http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/08/6417/1

If I were you I would start by contacting Argyll and Bute Archives https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/community-life-and-leisure/archives and asking them for their advice on how to proceed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Looks like his death was registered in Scotland , from Scotlandspeople -
Basil Arthur Cornwell , age 54 , 1979 Campbeltown Argyll , mother's maiden surname Miller.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
You could also subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive and look for a newspaper account of the accident -

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?ds_kid=43700029750963433&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzeiFrYmV3AIVArDtCh34yQYcEAAYASAAEgJwnPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COSTzLCJldwCFYa1UQodzSgMNw

The Herald (formerly the Glasgow Herald) would be one place to look.

I've never understood why the authorities in Scotland are so reluctant to set up a Fatal Accident Inquiry, and when they do, it's usually several years after the event, when people's memories have become unreliable.

Harry

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and ideas, lots to pursue.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
He was born West Derby (Liverpool) in 1924. His mother's maiden name Miller on Scottish Documentation is confirmed on his English Birth Certificate details. Free BMD.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
You probably already have this but his wife Marie Winifred Cornwell nee Orchard born 28.7.1919 died February 2005 Kent.  No will but grant of administration
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 July 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
I've never understood why the authorities in Scotland are so reluctant to set up a Fatal Accident Inquiry, and when they do, it's usually several years after the event, when people's memories have become unreliable.
I think it's because an FAI is only required if there is an unexplained circumstance, or some other aspect of the death that it is in the public interest to investigate. A death resulting from a straightforward road traffic accident would not fit either of these criteria.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.