Author Topic: Brecon Court Records 1870  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brecon Court Records 1870
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 July 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
Newwriter,

Please, please forgive me if you already know this -- but if ever you are struggling to find someone on a census record, or BMD record or whatever - on Find My Past (or Ancestry) -- remove specific birth places and try using a wildcard in the name (ie an Asterisk *).

In the case of Thomas Jarman - I firstly tried searching for him as Jarman - then tried his sister Charlotte -- but eventually found him by searching on Tho* *man --- you can use a wildcard after 3 letters or before 3 letters. Also used 1850 as his birth year plus or minus 2 years --- and born in Wales (ie no place or county).

(That's what it used to be regarding wildcards anyway -- the number of required letters MAY have been reduced by now, but I have always used 3 either before -- or after a wildcard.) No doubt someone involved in this thread will let us know if there has been a change.

I hope this info is of some use (if you didn't already know it of course!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

Had I read your last post on Thursday when you posted it it would have been very useful to me. However I actually looked up how to use wildcards over the weekend when looking for someone else. So when I read your post today it made me smile.

But thank you again for all of your help and advice. It has given me a much better picture of my rogue great granddad and helped me to keep track of his father, as well as how to get the best use out of FindMyPast

Best Wishes.

Newwriter

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
Newwriter --- do you mean to actually tell me you ignored my post!! How could you? (I am only joking).

I am so pleased that you are getting somewhere with your research.

Regards and Good Luck.
Places of interest;

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

Thanks so much for your advice. I have hit the jackpot. I have never really noticed that little arrow by the side of an image before that says there are more pages to the image. If I have I supposed that they just went to the next record like the census documents.

So anyway, last Friday I went back to check on something, clicked the arrow and boom! As you said, my great granddad's photograph appeared. Not just that, it was his whole prison record. 50 pages in all. ;D

There were actually two photographs taken about 7 years apart.

Coincidentally we were having a family birthday celebration that night and I was able to produce the photographs for everyone to see. Not everyone was impressed by my revelation of his nefarious lifestyle though.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
Newwriter -- I am SO pleased for you.

I think everyone at your party should have been impressed. It's wonderful having a 'colourful' ancestor - someone you can talk about.

Far more interesting than the normal ones. I have NEVER known one have 50 pages of criminal papers before -- I wonder if that is some sort of record!
Places of interest;

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
He did have quite a criminal record anyway but the papers include pages for both 7 year sentences and each has pages of medical records, pages of "marks earned", pages of prison offences, pages of his petitions to the Secretary Of State (really requests to the prison Governor), movement papers as he moved from prison to prison AND even a letter from my Great Grandmother and signed by her.

So I can't thank you enough.