Author Topic: The Bear Hotel...But where is it!  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Bear Hotel...But where is it!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Crickhowell for me also, google images crickhowell and there it is complete with monument

Thanks for that Mike...I will take a look. Thanks for your interest.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Another one for Crickhowell - it's the High Street, with Table Mountain in the background. Another old photo here:

http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/crickhowell/high.shtml

NB - the photo has a big clue in the embossed address top left - it's a town with a fairly long name ending in -owell  ;)

Well as a big collector, restorer and dater of old photos and postcards, I'm embarrassed to say that I presumed that was the name of the photographic studio  :-\ so thanks for that confirmation. I appreciate your input.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
Well as a big collector, restorer and dater of old photos and postcards, I'm embarrassed to say that I presumed that was the name of the photographic studio  :-\ so thanks for that confirmation. I appreciate your input.

It could well be the studio. Because of the dark background I can only make out the ends of the lines (Allen/Hall/-owell) but if you have the original you may be able to work out more.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:38 BST (UK) »

It could well be the studio. Because of the dark background I can only make out the ends of the lines (Allen/Hall/-owell) but if you have the original you may be able to work out more.

Thanks Arthur, I do have the original  but that is all I can get in Photoshop.

Carol

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
As for the scene. All I can see is a group of mainly younger people? Is it the damage to the building on the bottom right, possibly caused by a car or lorry that is attracting the crowd?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
I'm disappointed to miss out on the search for this location but glad it has been found.
Fabulous clear photo Carol.

As for the scene. All I can see is a group of mainly younger people? Is it the damage to the building on the bottom right, possibly caused by a car or lorry that is attracting the crowd?

I think the children are probably looking at the photographer with all his gear set up (possibly in the middle of the road on a ladder considering his elevated view point).

I'm glad the hotel is still standing, and looking good too!  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
I think you are right Ruskie...sorry you missed out  :-\ I might have to find another one and post it when you are awake  ;D
Carol

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
I look forward to it Carol.  ;)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
I'm on it  ;D
Carol