Author Topic: The Bear Hotel...But where is it!  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Bear Hotel...But where is it!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Well, well, a view I see every time I go to Abergavenny to shop, and I'm too late with my answer.  Great that you have all identified it though.  Crickhowell is a rather nice little town with lots of independent shops.  As a matter of interest,  there was an attempt by a supermarket chain to buy premises in the High Street recently, but locals opposed to this bought the premises instead, and converted them into small shops/workshops and living accommodation.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, the hill in the background is called Crug Hywel (Hywel's fort), after which the town is named.  It is the most spectacular hill-fort which can be seen to best effect from the air.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Well, well, a view I see every time I go to Abergavenny to shop, and I'm too late with my answer.  Great that you have all identified it though.  Crickhowell is a rather nice little town with lots of independent shops.  As a matter of interest,  there was an attempt by a supermarket chain to buy premises in the High Street recently, but locals opposed to this bought the premises instead, and converted them into small shops/workshops and living accommodation.

Hi GS....Aw sorry that you were late coming to the party but glad that you saw it. It's a lovely image and I'm pleased to see that the Hotel has survived and not been replaced by a modern abomination. As carvanners, we love to visit old towns with their farmers markets and independent shops.
You get a friendly welcome and good service where shopkeepers go the extra mile.
If you would like a copy and care to message me your email address I will happily forward you a copy if this one isn't big enough.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional information GS. It's good to hear about places that have retained their small businesses, their character and their history, and resist over development. It lifts the spirits.   :)