Author Topic: Frederick William Faulkner  (Read 710 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Frederick William Faulkner
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
I have found a record for the above named. I do not know much about Navy records as most of mine seem to have been in the Army. I am not sure where to start with this so please excuse me if I waffle on a bit!

Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services; Class: ADM 188; Piece: 287

The man named at the top of the page with the number 174614 has all his details- age, height, tattoos etc. But on the same page underneath this mans details  is written 175595 Frederick William Faulkner.Then follows a list presumably of ships he served on. But no personal details listed as with the man above. Would this have been "normal" practice to enter someone in this way. If so where can I find Frederick's personal details. The 2 men's numbers are not even close, so how does that work. Very confused and hoping someone can help.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick William Faulkner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
I am assuming you are seeing the record on Ancestry.

The record for 174614 Francis Gillespie goes about half way down the sheet. Then the details for 175595 174595 Frederick William Faulkner are the continuation of Faulkners record which is the one before Gillespie (use the left arrow).  If the man's record fills up one sheet, then the RN put the continuation on the next record.  So Faulkner's record starts quite normally with all the personal details on the sheet with 175595 174595 printed at the top, goes to the bottom then continues on the bottom half of Gillespie's record sheet (right arrow).  At the very bottom of Gillespies record in the clothing and remarks columns, the first entries belong to Gillespie and the last one to Faulkner.

I do hope the explanation makes sense?  (Whether the system does is another matter!).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry he's 174595.
Against June 1914 it's says "continued on folio 174614"
Gratuities list 1916 has him as 175595.
The first number is the correct one.
I see MaxD got there first.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Correction (thanks jim1) 174595 is Faulkner's number.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
"Frederick William Faulkner are the continuation of Faulkners record which is the one before Gillespie (use the left arrow).  If the man's record fills up one sheet, then the RN put the continuation on the next record "

I did check the previous page Max, but that is for a John William Prince........Having , now, been given the correct  number  174595, I found F W Faulkner on page 97 of 761 pages, his extra details are on page 116.
Many thanks for the answers. Turns out that now I have his birth date and place, he is not mine!! ::)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Never mind, elimination just as important!

March 1887 in Deptford?  22 Jan 1888 Pembroke Dock?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk