Author Topic: 1939 register  (Read 1966 times)

Offline patty38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1939 register
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Some of my family told porkies on the 1939 register knocking  a few years off their real age to make them seem younger. Why would they do this? They were women in their 60/70s and at the start of another world war were still working and supporting themselves so why would they need to lie.
Sorry but this really has upset me, they were quiet, unassuming hard working people all their lives so why lie now.

Patty
BRIGGS especially WILLIAM b. 1839 MY GREAT GRANDFATHER and MY BRICK WALL.

Richardson - Northumberland and Durham
Briggs - Durham and Sth Wales
Proud, Chapman - Durham and North Yorkshire
Hetherington - Cumberland/Northumberland and Durham
Eeles - Durham
Blair, Herd - Scotland
Murphy, McKenna, Connery - Ireland
also - Corps - Wear - Hutchinson & Fawell .

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
at a guess , vanity.
They'd fibbed to their beloveds, and they didn't personally fill in the forms?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline patty38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Both of the ladies were spinsters and the form would have been filled in by the elder probably, so upset that these two harmless ladies found it necessary to lie on an official form.
BRIGGS especially WILLIAM b. 1839 MY GREAT GRANDFATHER and MY BRICK WALL.

Richardson - Northumberland and Durham
Briggs - Durham and Sth Wales
Proud, Chapman - Durham and North Yorkshire
Hetherington - Cumberland/Northumberland and Durham
Eeles - Durham
Blair, Herd - Scotland
Murphy, McKenna, Connery - Ireland
also - Corps - Wear - Hutchinson & Fawell .

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
It may well have been vanity, but it is always possible that they/she made a genuine mistake . . . many people may not have actually been sure of their true age in past times when people were less obsessed with their age. I suppose it would be more unusual in the 20th century than earlier though.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
If in work were they lying to keep their jobs. They wouldn't be protected like they are today.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
I have found many instances on the 1939 register (particularly with the older people) where the date of birth doesn’t match the quarter / year of the registration, or the birth certificate. In many cases they have the right day (or a few days out) and month but the wrong year, which i have put down to simply not knowing exactly when they were born, rather than any desire to lie.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
I have no idea but was there a threshold above/below which the level of rations was lower/higher?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
I think that those involved in 'heavy work', pregnant and nursing mothers qualified for extra rations.

My grandpa's birthdate  on 1939 Register is wrong, date/month/year; apparently he was surprised to qualify for his pension......he was older than he thought he was.  ::)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Jan's reply reminded me that my dad's details are correct for his birth day and month but out for his year although I can see what has happened.  Once reconstituted in a horizontal format the columns have slipped out of sync, but because he is with his family and I know their dates it is easy to see what has happened.

Maybe that is what has happened in your case Patty but because there is only those two people in that household and you obviously don't know personal details of those in adjoining households, you can't readily see that this has happened.  Maybe they have just got someone else's year of birth when the register was joined up again after being transcribed.

Remember it was transcribed as individual vertical columns.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire