Author Topic: Patrick Walsh  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Walsh
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Re naming patterns reply #13. Parents didn't always follow it as Owen said in reply 10. You also need to take into account possible missing births, infant deaths and prior marriages which might have affected any apparent birth order you may see. If a child died young his/her name may have been used again.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
If we have Anne's correct baptism, it shows Ed and Belinda Sweeny as sponsors.

I have a conversation going in a Mayo group on Facebook, and one gentleman said he found two baptisms for Anne's siblings; John in 24 July 1845 and Belinda in 14 Nov 1851. I wasn't able to see the records, nor find them. The Sweeny name, as well as Belinda seem like clues to me. Was Sweeny a common name?

Sweeney (+ variants) is a common surname. Belinda isn't a common Irish forename as far as I know.
Cowban

Offline daizedoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
Does the signature of Maria Walsh, witness to marriage of Anne Walsh 1875 have "Mrs" written after it or was it "pps" followed by priest's signature? I think the priest was Thomas Timlin.

Hello! Since posting this in July, I have located Anne's siblings and parents. Maria was her youngest sister, so I assume her father Patrick and sister Maria were her witnesses.

But to answer your Q, the signature did not have anything written after it and it has "their marks" written for both Maria and Patrick Walsh. I assumed that to mean they could not write, so the priest signed for them? It does look like Thomas Timlin.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Does the signature of Maria Walsh, witness to marriage of Anne Walsh 1875 have "Mrs" written after it or was it "pps" followed by priest's signature? I think the priest was Thomas Timlin.

Hello! Since posting this in July, I have located Anne's siblings and parents. Maria was her youngest sister, so I assume her father Patrick and sister Maria were her witnesses.

But to answer your Q, the signature did not have anything written after it and it has "their marks" written for both Maria and Patrick Walsh. I assumed that to mean they could not write, so the priest signed for them? It does look like Thomas Timlin.

Something was written between Maria's name and the priest's signature. At first glance it looked to me like Mrs. When I looked at it again, properly, it seemed like pps,  and may have been pp, Per Procurationem, meaning "through the agency of" or "on behalf of", used when one person signs in place of another. I mentioned it so that someone else might scrutinise it and give a 2nd opinion. The priest wrote capital T like I.
Cowban