Author Topic: Who does Joseph think is his father?  (Read 863 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who does Joseph think is his father?
« on: Wednesday 11 July 18 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi people,

Joseph Sewell was born to Elizabeth Sewell in Newcastle in 1839 some five years before she got married and became Mrs Snaith.

The parish birth record states very clearly that Elizabeth was a spinster at the time of his birth and that the father's name was not revealed.

I now have the marriage certificate for young Joseph when he married 22 years later, in 1861, and in that certificate he identifies his father as Joseph Sewell, a Sawyer.

>>> I wonder, who is Joseph thinking of when he makes that claim?

I have no doubt that the man that Joseph is calling his father is at best an adoptive father and at worst a fabrication. The fact that he gives his father an occupation leads me to think he is referring to a real person and not simply inventing a father for appearances sake. But who is he referring to?

The best candidate is an old man by that name (born 1767) he was living with in 1841 who could be his grandfather or great grandfather. Maybe there is another Joseph Sewell in the family not seen in the 1841 census, perhaps a brother to Elizabeth not home on census night.

There is evidence of a Joseph Sewell in the region who lived 1795-1847.
I don't know if he is connected.

Can someone investigate and determine who it was that young Joseph was calling his father when he married in 1861?

This topic builds on a discussion held here two years ago.
Some data in here may be of assistance.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
(Re: Sewell family of Eachwick - disappear after 1841)

Cheers

-DC

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Who does Joseph think is his father?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
I have no doubt that the man that Joseph is calling his father is at best an adoptive father and at worst a fabrication. The fact that he gives his father an occupation leads me to think he is referring to a real person and not simply inventing a father for appearances sake. But who is he referring to?

Marriage certificates I have that name fathers when the child was illegitimate all have an occupation for a father.  The clergy would have asked for the fathers name then his occupation as it is what is required on the form.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
... So I should not place too much faith in the claimed existence of a father-figure named Joseph Sewell.

Fair point and I can't argue with that.

In the meantime I have found that Elizabeth Sewell had a stepbrother named Joseph Sewell, coming from an earlier marriage. This fellow lived 1795-1847. Young Joseph could have modeled a fictitious father on this step-uncle or his grandfather. Or one of these fellows could actually have had a hand in raising the boy in the absence of a real father.

-DC

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
Parental details are most unreliable on marriage and early birth certificates. I have a marriage where the illegitimate bride has her brother's name and occupation where her Father's would have been.

Another illegitimate groom names uses his grandfather's details, I have several like that.

My illegitimate late mother in law didn't even know her mother's name until I got her full birth certificate for her, so when she married my father in law her Father's details were left blank. Then she married for the second time and there is  father’s name  and occupation shown, however these details refer to her foster parent.

I could give a variety of other examples.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jebber.
Fascinating to read what people have written.
-DC