Author Topic: Michael Hendry Co. Derry 1886  (Read 2774 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Hendry Co. Derry 1886
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 July 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Irish genealogy is completely new to me, it seems either more difficult or just a different process to get used to than that of England/Wales/Scotland.

In terms of wanting to go further back than David Downey/Mary Devlin/Henry Magee/Ann Hatton, is is possible to do so? The whole family tree I am researching is based in Ireland.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 13 July 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
I found what I thought was a possible death for Henry Magee 19th June 1924 in Gulladuff, aged 70 which would have meant he was born c.1853/54, but obviously if he married in 1860 he would have been born in the 1830/40's and therefore a lot older than 70 if he died in 1924.

Also found one for David Downey 24th May 1921 in Magherafelt, aged 70.

Both locations and ages seemed to make sense but now am not so sure.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:27 BST (UK) »

Bachelor and labourer David Downing of Moyagall married spinster and grocer Mary Devlin of Drummuck (both Maghera parish) on 24 May 1868, David was recorded as the son of John Downing a labourer, Mary as the daughter of Patrick Devlin, a labourer. Peter Boyle and Margaret Murray were witnesses.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:32 BST (UK) »

I found what I thought was a possible death for Henry Magee 19th June 1924 in Gulladuff, aged 70 which would have meant he was born c.1853/54, but obviously if he married in 1860 he would have been born in the 1830/40's and therefore a lot older than 70 if he died in 1924.

Also found one for David Downey 24th May 1921 in Magherafelt, aged 70.

Both locations and ages seemed to make sense but now am not so sure.

Sorry, made my previous post before reading this, hopefully others will respond.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:42 BST (UK) »

Irish genealogy is completely new to me, it seems either more difficult or just a different process to get used to than that of England/Wales/Scotland.

In terms of wanting to go further back than David Downey/Mary Devlin/Henry Magee/Ann Hatton, is is possible to do so? The whole family tree I am researching is based in Ireland.

Sorry again, didn't pick up on this either.  My experience is that tracing Irish family becomes generally more difficult prior to civil registration (before which largely dependent on church records) and considerably more difficult prior to the first quarter of the 19th C, IMHO.