Author Topic: how to know the "unknown"  (Read 2722 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: how to know the "unknown"
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
Martin, You need to write something like 'Gedmatch Kit number H062246', or 'Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246' or something similar. Most people will know what you mean without it, but not all.  :) :)

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
Plimmerian,

To give an example of how it could help find your Unknown, though my example is at a slightly closer level than 4th cousin.

I have a predicted 3rd cousin who has no Ancestry tree. He knows the name of his grandmother, Smith (literally, not an example!), and thinks she was born in either Scotland or Liverpool. Nothing else. 1939 Register and death record give different years of birth, 1906 or 1909.

He is a shared match with my paternal cousin and a couple of other matches who I know to be connected to my Laversuch family, so a working assumption could be that he is connected through this family.

I know that one Laversuch sibling 'married' or cohabited with a Smith, and had several children, including 8 boys and 3 girls.  I am unable to trace all of these children after 1901 census, but a daughter of one of them would make the estimate of 3rd cousins correct.

I have provisionslly added an extra 'Unknown' child of Smith and Laversuch to my tree, adding
'Parentage
Not A Smith, not B Smith, unlikely to be C Smith, not D Smith -- Possibly E Smith, F Smith, G Smith or H Smith, or one of the girls'.

And that's as far as I can get, without finding the birth record of grandmother of my match.

New records may become available, closer matches may turn up, but the likelihood of me finding out his 'Unknown' is pretty slim. And he isn't particularly interested.

It is different in your case, you have no idea as to which surname could possibly connect you to your matches, so it will make it that much harder.  As I said in my first post, patience, hard work and a great deal of effort.

Regards Margaret

Modified.
You, looking for Unknown, would only have Smith to go work on. You wouldn't know about Laversuch, there isn't a Smith/Laversuch marriage to help you, there would just be the three shared matches, who you may or may not be able to tie together, as there isn't much to go on in 3 of the trees.
You are in fact looking for someone a generation further back, and it becomes more difficult, but not impossible.
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 July 18 07:07 BST (UK) »
I highly suggest using a chromosome mapping tool such as dnapainter.com. With this you can group your matches and look for triangulations which are extremely helpful in finding shared ancestors.

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Plimmerian,

I'm also on one of your trees! as I'm researching the Aldridge line from Liverpool which goes back to Wickham/Ryton in Co Durham to a Richard Aldridge in the late 1700s.

I haven't got as far as a dna test and certainly I'm only a beginner compared to the people here with their IGI/Gedmatch!! but I do enjoy digging around albeit I get frustrated trying to track down the females in my tree as often the males registered the births etc.

If you want to know more about my Aldridge line then let me know as I suspect we are related !
Sue

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 March 23 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm bumping up this post be ause there are some really good answers

Plimmerian did you get any closer to identifying unknown or potential surname ?

I totally disagree about ethnicity being
"Pleasant nonsense"
definitions are more and more specific and even identify regions

I have a Scottish father.  2 Maternal Welsh ggparents 1/English mixed with Welsh + Scottish) /+ 1Jewish

Now have  access to DNA from  3  generations ,above + below me .
+ 2nd + 3rd cousins including a Jewish one.the amounts reflect my family very accurately.
+ Unrelated in law's

It's  easy to compared  ethnicity of my DNA matches to identify which line they probably come from . Lack of matches can also be edifying .

Ancestry now does the ethnicity inherited from parent 1 and 2 which is also helpful with unknowns.

My mother only has 1 Scottish great grandmother Mary BROWN is almost impossible to pinpoint but DNA matches from with Scottish ethnicity on her maternal side
Have come up with a cluster of  surnames + locations  which helped decide between 3 likely candidates .

Good luck to anyone looking for unknowns

Congratulations to anyone who.s found one .!
Hopefully you LL share your story of how you found out

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 March 23 10:43 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the replies and contributions

it's all getting too technical for my heat-waved brain!

Buy yourself a copy of Tracing Your Ancestors Using DNA, edited by Graham S. Holton. It is an excellent and comprehensive book, which starts with the DNA basics for beginners and can be used as a reference in various other chapters as, when or if you need to progress to the more complex concepts and research they involve.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 March 23 12:05 GMT (UK) »
What a blast from the past this thread is.

With ref to reply no 10, I have now worked out the connection between me and this match, and have found that his grandmother was born in the Wirral in 1909 (so not Liverpool or Scotland in 1906!). The name my match had for her was incorrect as well, which certainly didn't help.

My original assumption was correct, descended from John Smith and Fanny Laversuch, but also from another sibling of hers. This was after someone else had tested, and knew a bit more about the family, enabling me to work through it all.

As I said in reply no 1 - 'Just a matter of patience, hard work and a great deal of effort on your part.'

Regards Margaret

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 April 23 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I've not made progress with finding the unknown and since the "split" results on ancestry, I'm even more confused, as the paternal paper trail conflicts with the DNA results for the paternal side.

I was advised to join up to the Gedmatch website but I'm not comfortable with uploading sensitive details to a site I'm not sure about.

If the "Finding your roots" programme makers are reading this, please consider including non famous people in your show lol