Author Topic: How would one get a coroner's inquest report from 1933?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How would one get a coroner's inquest report from 1933?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 July 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Not all reports are saved to archives. Someone will correct me if I am wrong,  but I believe Coroner's reports are the property of the Coroner and often destroyed after fifteen years.

I know of one case where the Coroner was a solicitor, when he retired and the practice closed a lot of material, including his reports, was dumped in a skip. I heard this from another Coroner some years ago, he had managed to retrieve the dumped reports and  had them in his own archive.

Well yeah, I understand it's not officially recorded material like a census. And obviously the Coroner in question will also be deceased. I realise it was/is a shot in the dark

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 July 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/coroners-inquests/

It states

"This is a brief guide to help you with your research into coroners’ inquests. The majority of post mid-18th century records of inquests are held at local archives and not The National Archives. Not all coroners’ inquests have been selected for permanent preservation. Records of deaths less than 75 years old may be retained by the coroner’s office."
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 July 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/coroners-inquests/

It states

"This is a brief guide to help you with your research into coroners’ inquests. The majority of post mid-18th century records of inquests are held at local archives and not The National Archives. Not all coroners’ inquests have been selected for permanent preservation. Records of deaths less than 75 years old may be retained by the coroner’s office."

How would I contact them via email?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 July 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
Best place to try is the county archives;  however the survival of reports is very patchy.

http://www.wyjs.org.uk/archive-services/

Did you contact the archives?   There is an email address in the above link, scroll through.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 July 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
Best place to try is the county archives;  however the survival of reports is very patchy.

http://www.wyjs.org.uk/archive-services/

Did you contact the archives?   There is an email address in the above link, scroll through.

yes i have contacted archives@wyjs.org.uk  and also Milners Law (the law firm who the coroner worked for and founded!)

They sent this:

The West Yorkshire Archive Service holds coroners records for Leeds for the following years:

Inquest Books: 1927 – 1954
 Inquest Case Files: 1965 – 1982

Inquest books consist of a 1 line register entry which usually states the suspected cause of death and the results of the inquest. Unfortunately the case files are most detailed but we do not hold these for 1933. If you would like to search for somebody in this inquest register then we are happy to book an appointment for you to come in and view it. Inquest books are exempt from public access if they are under 100 years old so we would have to tie off half of the book to restrict the later years if you wish to look at it. We are open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and the second Saturday of every month if you would like to let us know when you are free.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 July 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
If I was faced with this in my ancestry and wanted to see if I could find out more. I would go to the local library and search the 1933 local newspaper archives as it is more likely they could have inquest/coroner reports in them and/or a local story about "someone dying in a local pub"
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Paulo Leeds

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 July 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
If I was faced with this in my ancestry and wanted to see if I could find out more. I would go to the local library and search the 1933 local newspaper archives as it is more likely they could have inquest/coroner reports in them and/or a local story about "someone dying in a local pub"

Could be worth a go.

You reckon they'd have things not on the British Newspaper Archive site?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 July 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
Not all newspapers are on the BNA;  more are added at intervals.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 July 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
To follow what nanny jan says... which is why I said the local library as most of those newspapers will only be held locally, often it is hard copies you search, meaning no one has digitised them so they are not 'available' to go online however they are full of local news that often didn't make the nationals.