Author Topic: Who lived in a House like this?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who lived in a House like this?
« on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that this one will be found as it doesn't have any clues, but I am sure that if it is still standing..it will be found by the intrepid Rootschat Sleuths  ;D. Hopefully not turned into another Aldi  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived in a House like this?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Sadly, it  could be almost anywhere. My first thought was a farmhouse, which makes it rural. It's been altered since it was built in the 18th century, with, I think, additional living space added to where there was a barn on the left. The two left hand windows are Victorian, the others Georgian. The porch is also a Victorian addition. I believe the original farm house ended to the left of the down pipe and the rest of it, to the left, was barn or used for housing livestock.
The original farm house front door was in the gabled building on the right - you can see the wall below the window has been filled in.
It appears to be built of thin slabs of stone (though with no colour it could be brick) with stone block additions in places. So that would narrow it down to where stone was used for building. But that doesn't narrow it down much.
Sorry can't be more help. Fascinating picture, though. Taken at he end of the 19th century, I would say.

Regards

AJ

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
It's stone on the roof, so the walls will be stone too.
Still not much to go on geographically.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Sadly, it  could be almost anywhere. My first thought was a farmhouse, which makes it rural. It's been altered since it was built in the 18th century, with, I think, additional living space added to where there was a barn on the left. The two left hand windows are Victorian, the others Georgian. The porch is also a Victorian addition. I believe the original farm house ended to the left of the down pipe and the rest of it, to the left, was barn or used for housing livestock.
The original farm house front door was in the gabled building on the right - you can see the wall below the window has been filled in.
It appears to be built of thin slabs of stone (though with no colour it could be brick) with stone block additions in places. So that would narrow it down to where stone was used for building. But that doesn't narrow it down much.
Sorry can't be more help. Fascinating picture, though. Taken at he end of the 19th century, I would say.

Regards

AJ

Thanks AJ for your interesting and knowledgeable comments...I thought this would be a difficult one. I would agree on the date...it dates post 1902 as it has a divided back...although that doesn't help.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
It's stone on the roof, so the walls will be stone too.
Still not much to go on geographically.

Thanks for your interest Pauline, not easy is it as there are no recognisable features ::)

Carol

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the lace curtains offer any sort of clue.  That type of curtain can be seen in France,  are they so common in this country?
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the lace curtains offer any sort of clue.  That type of curtain can be seen in France,  are they so common in this country?

That's a good point Purling but i associate those kind of curtains with Holland...Cafe type nets, but I could be wrong.
Carol

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Interesting about the nets. I immediately though of the heavy Victorian ones popular at the end of the 19th century. Didn't think of the house being abroad - it could be but building characteristics still make me think it's in Britain.

AJ

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
I agree Aj100 it does look characteristicly English.  The porch is quite grand isn't it for what may be a rural farmhouse!
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.