Author Topic: Are memorial inscriptions for St Mary, Morpeth recorded somewhere?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are memorial inscriptions for St Mary, Morpeth recorded somewhere?
« on: Wednesday 11 July 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
I have just this afternoon been given information concerning the burials at St Mary, Morpeth of my Great x 3 Grandmother Mary Conroy, her son Edward and his wife Mary.

Is there a volume somewhere or a link giving memorial inscriptions for this Church?

Mary probably didn't have a grave stone (she was a hawker/pedlar) although perhaps Edward and Mary may have had one. 

These are their burial dates:

Mary Conroy - 23 February 1879

Son Edward Conroy - 14 February 1920

His wife Mary Conroy - 3 February 1908

I will appreciate any information given.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are memorial inscriptions for St Mary, Morpeth recorded somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.ndfhs.org/pdfs/Vol-6-No-2.pdf

That is dated 1981 and says they have a Revised index to copies of Northumberland MIs.
Morpeth MIs on the list only go up to 1851, maybe worth asking NDFHS if they have a later update?

Boo

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
It seems there was a publication that gives details to 1959. If you have no luck elsewhere I will have a look at this publication (provided it is still at SOG), but it will not be this week I am afraid
(At this stage I do not know if the 1959 date specifically applies to St Mary's or whether there are other churches in the book and that is just the date of the latest transcript in the book).

Author:Jewitt, J (trans.)

Title Statement:
MORPETH (St. Mary) : MIs 1704-1959: Northumberland monumental inscriptions, vol. 1 [Typescript.]

Published: 1976

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Boo and David for your posts.

I would really appreciate you checking this book for me - there is no hurry - just whenever you get time. 

I don't know if they will have gravestones but perhaps they might - I hope so as stones often give more snippets of information. 

Thank you for offering to help David  and to you Boo for the link. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
I have made a note of the details and will see what they have next week and report back
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796134.9

David, than you for your kind offer.  However, I think I must have been having a 'Senior' moment when I put up this post.

Another RootsChatter kindly sent me a link to the St Mary, burials not so long ago and there is no evidence that they have gravestones.

I think I just got so excited yesterday when I finally got to learn where my ancestors were buried.  This was totally unexpected as they were Roman Catholic.

I am glad caught you this week before you go off to search for information I now already have. 

My apologies - I didn't do this deliberately - asking for information I already have.  It truly had slipped my mind.  Very pleased though to know where Mary, son Edward and his wife Mary are even though it turns out they don't have gravestones! :D

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
No problem. Glad you have the information.