Author Topic: St Paul's Road, Salisbury  (Read 8196 times)

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Paul's Road, Salisbury
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Don't forget the boy in Yeovil in 1901!

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Ha! I'm very impressed by everyone's ingenuity in seeking out all this evidence. I have spent an enormous amount of time researching this family, so do have all the census data, certificates, and much other evidence. I have spent even more time head-scratching!!

I realise it would obviously make more sense to talk about Clarissa Chilvers openly. However, I would prefer to keep any referral to the name of the potential biological father quiet. Thank you :)

...but did the mother marry in 1892 and have a son prior to the 2 children we are talking about? 

The baptism for the child in 1895 names husband as the father. 

Can you say why there is doubt he was the father? 

Yes, married in 1892, first son born later that year. I have no reason to doubt his parentage.

I descend from Clarissa's later daughter, born in 1902. A combination of family tittle-tattle and DNA evidence has pointed me in the direction of her biological father (although she is officially the daughter of Clarissa and her husband.)

All told, there seems to be a serious amount of cover-up involved. I have no evidence that Clarissa's husband ever left London. She was back with him in 1901, but later ran away with another man. On the 1911 census, her (estranged) husband states they had two children. Hmm, I've counted four so far!

I think the son was born earlier (1892) as he is older on census but why baptise them both in different places within days of each other. 

Did the same 2 people baptise them or just give those names.  I can see why there is a mystery here.

Wondering if the parents actually were the same or it was to disguise something.
The two baptisms within 3 days are indeed bizarre. When the second child is baptized in Fisherton Anger, she is about 7 months old, and she dies less than a month later in Salisbury Hospital from tubercular meningitis. I wonder if she was already ill, and the baptisms were made in fear. The son's baptism in London takes place on the same day as the child of his landlord, so it could just be an odd coincidence. I presume both parents wouldn't have had to be at the baptism?

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Don't forget the boy in Yeovil in 1901!

No, indeed! Births in Bournemouth, living in Salisbury, foster care in Yeovil, it all smacks of an almighty cover-up.

Its certainly more than odd.
1901 Shows family to be sustaining a good living for the times,could well afford to travel, by train would imagine. This needs some in depth investigation.

Certainly in 1901, back with her husband, times seem to be ok. I do wonder how she managed to afford to live in Salisbury, possibly with her eldest son in tow, travel to and pay for lodgings in Bournemouth around the time of the births, possible costs from Salisbury hospital when her child died, then presumably paying for foster care in Yeovil.

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Having had a quick look at the electoral registers for Fisherton Anger this morning, I am not too hopeful that they will help.
John

Hi John, Thank you for looking! I had no idea whether electoral registers might exist for the area, I'd be interested to hear more...

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
From my memory,prior to the clearance for the road widening,all the St Pauls Rd properties especially on the left hand side coming from Wilton Rd/Devizes Rd junction were all small red brick terrace houses [some back to back] as so many were in parts of Salisbury right up to the early 1960s.
Mentioned the Gaol as its all part of the early  picture of the area.

This is interesting, thank you! I presume that this was a fairly poor area, although having said this, the houses would've been fairly newly built at the time.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry about revealing the name, I wouldn't have named Mr X even if I knew who he was (which I don't).
The electoral registers are on findmypast. But I didn't see many references to that road. But did I look at all of it? Not sure. Anyway, the names are listed alphabetically, rather than by street.
John

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 July 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
1861 Conveyance of Lands from the Hayter Trustees to Charles Drew a Salisbury Solicitor,area bounded by Gas Lane ,Meadow Rd and St Pauls Road,,,by 1879 had been built with terraces of small houses.

Very intrigued to know who the father was of these children [as yet have no idea]

Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 July 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
Of course Edward V11 comes to mind he used to visit the Old Mill in Harnham Meadows regularly.
Just a wild quess.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
Of course Edward V11 comes to mind he used to visit the Old Mill in Harnham Meadows regularly.
Just a wild quess.

;D That's the one. Stop the search!