Author Topic: St Paul's Road, Salisbury  (Read 8233 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Paul's Road, Salisbury
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 15 July 18 20:38 BST (UK) »
She remembers a Prospect Terrace in St Pauls Road .

I spotted a "Prospect Terrace, St. Paul's Road" in several newspaper advertisements at the turn of the 19th Century and wondered if "2 Pleasant Terrace" on the birth certificate was badly written and was being misread - and should be read as "2 Prospect Terrace".
Yet to find it on a map of the period - haven't checked the census.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 15 July 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Prospect Terrace

1901 Census - reference RG13  Piece 1952  Folio 78  Page 2

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 15 July 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
The 1939 Register has maps [scroll down,]1888 Ordinance Survey also shown for the same image.
Marker shows where property situated.As you may may gathered I know Salisbury well.
2 Prospect Terrace is within easy reach of St Pauls Rd,St Pauls being the area could have been included in original address.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 16 July 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
I spotted a "Prospect Terrace, St. Paul's Road" in several newspaper advertisements at the turn of the 19th Century and wondered if "2 Pleasant Terrace" on the birth certificate was badly written and was being misread - and should be read as "2 Prospect Terrace".

I would say the birth certificate does clearly say "2 Pleasant Terrace". Would it be okay to scan in just this part of the birth certificate on here?

I wonder whether the address may have been miswritten by the registrar, or are the records transcribed?? I can't see Clarissa would have gained anything by knowingly giving an incorrect address at this point.

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 16 July 18 01:10 BST (UK) »

Going back to your original question- my mum is 95 born and bred in Salisbury. She remembers a Prospect Terrace in St Pauls Road . Had a look on FindMyPast and it is there in 1901 just wondering if it should be Prospect rather than Pleasant. I don't have a subscription but perhaps someone could look it up just to see who was living there - just a long shot.

Please thank your mum for me!

2 Prospect Terraces has Albert & Caroline Elizabeth Smith and their daughter. Unfortunately the names ring no bells with me.

LMFAO,Thanks for that. Unable to find it 1901 or 1911,but someone else might.

The address 1939,turns out to be off Devizes Rd approx half way up on left hand side.
Quite a way up from St Pauls Road

Prospect Terrace on the 1901 census has numbers 1-10. Mind you, even some of them have other names.

I can't find a Prospect Terrace on the 1911 census, although St Paul's Road seems to start at No. 9, so I'm probably missing something...

I can see a Prospect Place, Devizes Road on the 1939 register. Is that the one you mean?

Thank you all for keeping looking at this, I do appreciate all your help :)

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 16 July 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
I spotted a "Prospect Terrace, St. Paul's Road" in several newspaper advertisements at the turn of the 19th Century...

Ah, an interesting thought for a line of enquiry! I just discovered Mr Albert Smith of 2 Prospect Terrace advertising that he has commenced his tailoring business at this address in 1899, so too late.

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 22 July 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
Finally found a moment to give an update...

In the absence of being able to pin down Pleasant Terrace, it's occurred to me that there might be records at Salisbury Hospital, where Clarissa's second child died, which might yield more information. I believe these are at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre, but if anyone has any experience of these, I would be interested to know.

After some painstaking cross-referencing of various census years, and mapping addresses, I have had more luck with the address in Bournemouth:
2 St Michael's Round later became 3 Purbeck Road, when the whole street was re-numbered.

Western Gazette, 2 March 1897
Advert
Girl (strong) wanted, age about 16 - Apply Mrs Grant, 2 St. Michael's Round, Purbeck Road, Bournemouth

The family in 1901
RG13  Piece 1040  Folio 89  Page 37

Great find, thank you for this! It seems Mr & Mrs Grant lived at this property for a good number of years, and would've been present during the period when Clarissa stayed there. I was amused by her specifying a strong girl, but perhaps it's because he was a baker.

I note that Mr Grant is the only person on the electoral register for this address over the years. Perhaps they rented out rooms, or perhaps it was the responsibility of a landlord. Certainly, Clarissa must've been happy to return here for the second birth.

My late mother-in-law’s mother was living in a home for fallen women when MIL was born, although the birth did not take place there. I wondered if yours was a similar situation with the address in St. Michael's Rd being one of the numerous homes in Bournemouth, but I cannot find anything to indicate it was.

Thank you, Jebber. I've been spending some time considering what you had to say. There is nothing to indicate that it was a specific place for expectant women, judging by the other tenants in the property in 1891 and 1901. However, I can't imagine many boarding houses would take in women in her situation, and I wonder if there was a covert way this was advertised. Clarissa must've stayed here some weeks, as neither of the births were registered until about a month afterwards. I wonder if she had a monthly nurse staying with her - after all, I can't see how she could've afforded her lifestyle by herself, especially if she had her young son in tow too, and to have been by herself in a strange town, albeit away from prying eyes, would've been a tough ask.

I can better understand her journeys to Bournemouth. The area at that time seems filled with incomers, and it would be easier to tell whatsoever story, and no-one to be any the wiser.

However, I am still mystified as to her extended sojourn in Salisbury. I have found no connections in her family to Salisbury (or indeed Bournemouth, or Yeovil), and she had plenty of family back in London. Hence why I have imagined it was at the bidding of Mr X. I wonder if anyone knows if there were particular reasons drawing people to Salisbury during this period?

Thanks again to everyone for all your kind help with this  :)

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 22 July 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding 3 Purbeck Road West Cliff Borough Christchurch,residence of Hiram James Grant and wife Emma nee Stone.
This property appears to be a boarding house also 1920- 1931.Electoral Rolls.
In same ownership of Hiram J Grant.
Emma died 1925 Bournemouth age 61.
Hiram death 1934 Poole age 71.  Youngest child Victoria May Grant married a John E Soffe,both deceased
their son David born 1937 also deceased.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kanskar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Robert Kirk c1890
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 09 November 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
You might wish to contact the Salisbury Reference library ref Pleasant Terrace.
They should have an 1897
Directory for Salisbury (I have perused it in the past) and possibly maps for the area around that time that may assist you.

Kanskar
Census info-Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Rodway London 19-20c
Kirk London/Brum/Coventry/London 19c
Blower Warwicks 19c
Syrett/Brewer/Cranwell London 19c
Punter Herts/London 19c
Whitrow/Hutchings/Leeworthy/Goldsworthy/May - Devon 19-20c

Stoodley Dorset/Hants/Wilts 18-20c
Cooper/Clark Broughton, Hants 18c
Moody - East Dean/Sherfield English Hants 18/19c
White  Aspull/Wigan, Lancs 19-20c