Author Topic: Connacht,Ireland.  (Read 1783 times)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Connacht,Ireland.
« on: Thursday 12 July 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
DNA back and shows Connacht, Ireland. Is this in Mayo as grt grandfather has himself coming from County Mayo on the 1911 Census? Where do I look for records please? Surname is very difficult as Crayton can be Craatin,Cratin, etc.
As usual any help welcome.
Regards,
Josie.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connacht,Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
DNA back and shows Connacht, Ireland. Is this in Mayo ...

No but Mayo is in Connacht. Google easily gives simple answers to this sort of thing-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connacht

Rather than posting Irish resources on this DNA board I suggest you either start a new topic on MAYO board or use 'report to moderator' and ask this to be moved to MAYO board- and I'm sure you'll get lots of help and suggestions there  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Actually forget the above suggestions- you already have a topic on MAYO board so just add to it rather than starting a new one-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=461029.msg3217047#msg3217047
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
DNA back and shows Connacht, Ireland. Is this in Mayo as grt grandfather has himself coming from County Mayo on the 1911 Census?
As usual any help welcome.
Regards,
Josie.

Which test did you take that gives a result so specific?  ???

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 July 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Ancestry gives Connacht for anyone from the west to east coast of Ireland, they don't at this stage recognize Lenister, I asked when they gave me Connacht as well.
This is the reply I got
"The test itself is something that we are always developing  and updating so the reason that "Leinster" isn't included is that we don't have data to tell us of a "Leinster" based part of the genome. I have "Ulster" in my own results but they are general areas and the lines do indicate that they are not exactly confined by our modern borders. The results reach back up to 2000 years or so"

So while in your case you already have a record stating Mayo which is in Connacht, others like myself have no known connection to any Connacht county but still get it as a result.

Also keep in mind that as each new set of people came in to Ireland they came into the East and those there before them got pushed West so while many of us have (old) DNA from areas showing as in the West they may have started out or remained in the East as in my case.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Sinann you say "Ancestry gives Connacht for anyone from the west to east coast of Ireland" i.e. the whole of Ireland!

I have one reported 4G grandfather from Ireland, and possibly his ancestors. My husband has a Great grandfather from Ireland, and possibly his ancestors.

Our results are -

Your DNA shows that you have ancestry from Ireland/Scotland/Wales (12%) and links you to these specific regions: Southern England

Your DNA shows that you have ancestry from Ireland and Scotland (0 - 43%) and links you to these specific regions: Northern England & the Midlands

So no mention of any region in Ireland, indeed no confidence that is not Scotland or Wales either.

(Or have I misunderstood you, do you get Connacht where I get Southern England?)

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't word that very well. they stretch out Connacht all the way to the East coast they also give Munster to the south and I think Ulster to the North as well just not Lenister.
I can't find it now but there used to be a Show All Regions list and you could see the regions for each country now it only seems to be a map, which has also changed a bit Connacht has shrunk a bit. ;D and Munster has expanded.

The image is my result showing the regions, I think my Lenister relations come under the UK.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Think about how people came into Ireland, Ulster is probably also coming under the UK and likely showing as Scotland.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
 If I click on my UK of 2% on the map it gives, the UK missing out on the very north of Scotland, north of France, a bit of Germany, the Low Countries and a smidgen of  Ulster and Leinster