Author Topic: dna testing  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Poodlebell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
dna testing
« on: Thursday 12 July 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

this message is for Steve Bibby, don't know how to do it any other way.

I was reading your article on DNA testing and about the Bibbys and Scandanavia.

I had my DNA tested and my line is gt grandmother Charlotte Bibby, I sent her photo to you, her father John Bibby 1819, his father 1795 from Chelmsford and I came back with 24% Scandanavian, which was a shock as I was convinced I would be all Essex

Europe
95.8%
•North and West Europe
75.7%
English
34.8%
Scandinavian
24.7%
North and West European
16.2%
•East Europe
20.1%
East European
20.1%
Africa
4.2%
•North Africa
3.2%
North African
3.2%
•West Africa
1.0%
Nigerian
1.0%

how is mine compared to yous
poodlebell

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: dna testing
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
If you want to send Steve Bibby a personal message find a post he has made and click on his name and that will take you to his profile page. On the left hand side of that page you will see a link that says "send PM", click on that and it will open a new page for you to write a personal message to Steve. When you send the message Steve will then be alerted to the message and will be able to look it up straight away.

hope that helps.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Poodle bell, the second word of the phrase "ethnicity estimates" is very important. This is a new technology, and it is based on many parameters.  While autosomal matching of relatives is amazingly accurate, the ethnicity aspects should be taken with a large pinch of salt. I recently got mine telling me that I am 8% Greek, which came as very much as surprised as I have no Greek references in my heritage. If you read a lot about DNA ethnicity estimates on the internet you will understand more and it will put your mind at rest. Just about everybody has these unexpected readings comma and once you understand the whole concept you will find that these are not unusual at all.  Try this one :

https://www.geni.com/blog/dna-testing-for-genealogy-getting-started-part-four-376433.html#

I can't believe I have just addressed somebody as poodle bell

Martin

Offline Poodlebell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi davidft and Mart 'n' Al

Thank you for your replies and help.

I really cant understand the dna, I have read up a bit, but I read an article that Steve had done saying about the Bibbys coming from Ireland to Liverpool and that the Southern Bibbys were probably from that.

Poodlebell is I have a poodle and name Bell

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 18 02:38 BST (UK) »
A large part of what became England was populated by people from Scandinavia. They were commonly known as Vikings. This period of history was recently dramatized in a TV series "The Last Kingdom" based on novels by Bernard Cornwell. They also settled in Ireland and France. Some of the Ireland-based ones migrated to England after defeat by King Brian Boru in 1014. Parts of Britain were ruled by Scandinavian kings at various times up until 13th century. Then in 1066, William of Normandy (France) invaded England and his Norman barons, descended from Vikings (hence Norsemen or Normans) took over England. So lots of opportunity for Scandinavian DNA to be spread around England during 3 centuries.
I expect my English ancestors who were known to have lived in Lancashire in 16th century had a fair bit of Scandinavian DNA.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 18 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, Mart.
Another page of that website has a piece headed: Admixture and the "Scandinavian Question"
"... these discoveries support the notion that the British Isles was a true melting-pot long before the U.S. gained that moniker ..." It goes on to question the definitions of "British" and "Scandinavian".

Cowban

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 July 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
Poodle bell, the second word of the phrase "ethnicity estimates" is very important. This is a new technology, and it is based on many parameters.  While autosomal matching of relatives is amazingly accurate, the ethnicity aspects should be taken with a large pinch of salt. I recently got mine telling me that I am 8% Greek, which came as very much as surprised as I have no Greek references in my heritage. If you read a lot about DNA ethnicity estimates on the internet you will understand more and it will put your mind at rest. Just about everybody has these unexpected readings comma and once you understand the whole concept you will find that these are not unusual at all.  Try this one :

https://www.geni.com/blog/dna-testing-for-genealogy-getting-started-part-four-376433.html#

I can't believe I have just addressed somebody as poodle bell

Martin

I'll see your 8% Greek and raise you 11% Iberian! Family Tree DNA originally had me 5% Finland and Northern Siberia, which I was quite pleased with, then they changed their minds, deleted my Finnish/Siberian DNA and decided that, apart from the usual British component, I was 33% Scandinavian (having been 0% before), 11% Iberian, and for a bit of exotica, 3% Sephardic Jewish Diaspora and <2% West Middle East (trace element).

You think that's pretty cool? Wait till I give you the numbers for MyHeritage. They think I'm 6.8% Iberian, 2.1% Italian, 4.7% Baltic, 1% West Africa and 1% Nigeria.

I call that not bad for an east-coast Scot whose most exotic ancestors came from Northumberland and Co. Down.

Harry

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 July 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
If you want to send Steve Bibby a personal message find a post he has made and click on his name and that will take you to his profile page. On the left hand side of that page you will see a link that says "send PM", click on that and it will open a new page for you to write a personal message to Steve. When you send the message Steve will then be alerted to the message and will be able to look it up straight away.

hope that helps.

Easier to click on the personal message "button" below the persons avatar, the symbol that looks like a page from a book with a dog ear.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 July 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***