Author Topic: Royal Engineers 708th General construction company  (Read 286 times)

Offline steveburton1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Engineers 708th General construction company
« on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any details of the Royal Engineers 708th General construction company during WW2, particularly between September 1939 - June 1941, I believe they were in Greece from March 1941, and were at some stage on Crete during April - June 1941. Any information would be gratefully received.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineers 708th General construction company
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

The period Jun 1940 - May 1941 is covered by two war diaries :

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=708%20general%20construction&_ep=ENGINEERS&_cr=wo&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

although they are not digitised and would need you to visit or have them copied (expensive, don't embark on this without further advice!).  The lack of a war diary before Jun 1940 suggests they may well have served at home up to that point.

There don't appear to be any records of the company at the RE Museum.  Unfortunately, however valuable their services to the war effort, that type of unit does not attract as much limelight as the teeth arms, for example a quick look for information on the Battle for Crete mentions the construction of airfields but then concentrates entirely on the battle and I think that might be the experience looking at histories.

Others may have less gloomy suggestions.

MaxD

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline steveburton1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineers 708th General construction company
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this information, it fills in a couple of gaps for me.