Author Topic: Henry Hinson of Collingwood  (Read 1579 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Hinson of Collingwood
« on: Thursday 12 July 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Today I came across a message board on Ancestry about a Henry Hinson, who appears to be the Henry Hinson who was the twin brother of my 4x great-grandmother, Sophia Hinson (later Pepper). It says that his wife Mary Elliot was Irish and arrived in Australia in 1844, a year before marrying this Henry in Melbourne in 1845. Henry died in 1889 in Collingwood, as did his wife in 1900.

I find this claim troubling for a number of reasons. For one, none of the information is sourced. There is no indication of how they know his wife was Irish, how they know when she came to Australia, that Henry was born in Cambridge etc. He doesn't appear on the 1841 Census. If anyone could find any records that might back up these claims I would be greatly appreciative. I've written a small amount about relatives of mine who have emigrated, and I'd love to include Henry!

The thread: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=858&p=surnames.hinson

Thanks!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hinson of Collingwood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
Henry Hinson
Residence   New South Wales, Australia
Marriage date   16 Sep 1845
Spouse Mary Elliot
Marriage place   St. James, Melbourne, New South Wales, Australia

This can be ordered from NSW BMD's with the reference numbers  774/1845 V1845774 30B from their site. https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx  It may give his parent's names and occupations, also for mary.
If this is his death does his birth year match Sarah's?
Henry Hinson
Age   71
Birth year   1818
Death year   1889
Father's name   -
Mother's name   -
Death place    Collingwood Victoria
Registration number   11525
Record set   Victoria Deaths 1836-1985

You could ask the poster on ancestry if they have the sources for the information. They just may not have posted it.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that. I've checked one of the profiles of the participants (last active today) on Ancestry so I decided to comment.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 18 00:16 BST (UK) »

Funeral notice Hinson connections to lodges and fellowship and Salvation Army.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197323097

Death Notice. With children. Colonist of 45 years
Aged 71 years
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197323056

Search here for his digitised will. A tailor of Collingwood
https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Please dont bother with the NSW BDM record, it will be a typed up document, and be scant on info, as it is prior to commencement of civil registration.

Notice though that it is for Melbourne NSW and of course that is chronologically correct as Victoria was not hived off until 1851.

BUT Vic BDM has the marriage on its online index and its ref no. there is #4970.   Here is link to assist you to check, and if interested to order via Vic BDM (plastic card and immediate download)

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM!

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 July 18 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Melbourne Directory (Tanner) 1859
COLLINGWOOD TRADE DIRECTORY

Drapers and Outfitters
HINSON, C. and Co., 187, 168 & 169, Smith st, corner, Stanley st.

Gerry

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 July 18 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerry!