Author Topic: Irish relatives from Roscommon  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Wendy Frances

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish relatives from Roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you maiden stone have joined irelandxo.com and i have posted a message on their boards.
Regards
Wendy

Offline Wendy Frances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy
James and was definitely deceased by 1893 according to James jnr  marriage certificate.
Regards
Wendy

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 July 18 21:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Gaffy
James and was definitely deceased by 1893 according to James jnr  marriage certificate.
Regards
Wendy

Which fits with what I've posted but that fact doesn't propel it beyond the bounds of a possibility.  The name McGreevy / Greevy (and variants) was hardly unique in the wider Roscommon (and Mayo) vicinity and you really need something more to tie the James in Burslem to the family I posted, eg. in the way of a baptism or something else indicating the mother's surname for the James in Burslem.  I'm not arguing against what I posted (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it in the first place), but IMHO it is no more than a possibility at this point.

Offline Wendy Frances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 July 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi gaffy
Yes I've been trying to find census record's to see when they came to England. But couldn't see them in Burslem prior to 1901 when it was James and Bridget. Don't know if James parents stayed in Ireland or if they came to England.
It's really hard going
Regards
Wendy

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 July 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
The 1901 census indicated a birth year for James of 1863, the balance of probability favours James having been born pre civil registration, I would assume 1863 to early 1864 (although I wouldn't rule out even earlier), it is indeed unfortunate that there is the gap in the Loughglynn parish baptisms pointed out at Reply #5, that really hasn't helped one little bit.

BTW, note that living with the family in their Burslem household in 1901 was a widowed 56 year old labourer called Michael Murphy, born in Ireland and described as an uncle (ie. of head of household).

Offline Wendy Frances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 July 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy
Yes Michael Murphy is Bridget's unc!e her mother's brother. I've just looked for a death of James Mcgreevy. I found one in 1923 a/m/m stoke on trent with the relevant numbers but when I went on GRO to search the death it's not there. I though it may give me a mother's maiden name.
Wendy

Offline Wendy Frances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 July 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
The death record states he was 58 when he died in 1923 and gives a birth date of 1865.

Wendy

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 July 18 08:12 BST (UK) »

Hi
The death record states he was 58 when he died in 1923 and gives a birth date of 1865.

Wendy

The death record generally was one of the more unreliable indicators of birth year for several reasons, not least that the accuracy was dependent on the informant and that age at death was at the furthest end (from birth) of someone's timeline in an era when folk simply didn't observe birthdays and age in the same way they do today.

Offline Wendy Frances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
I know my dad had an aunt who celebrated her birthday on a specific date for years only to find she had the wrong birth date.
Irish records are so hard to find and prove.
I've even put in Mcgreevy in family search to see what it comes up with but can't find anything
Wendy