Author Topic: Researching a property using Sasines  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Researching a property using Sasines
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
On the search sheet I got from ROS, it lists two descriptions: the "tenements of houses" and then "II. Dwelling House. Later searches refer to no II. I am assuming the means at some point the house (mine) was finally sold separately?
Yes, very probably.

BTW 'tenement' doesn't mean a large block of flats, as in contemporary city centres. It is originally a piece, usually a strip, of land, on which the feuar or tenant is expected to build a house. You get tenements in the 20th century sense when someone builds a block that takes up all or most of the original tenement.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder, as this was a Sasine abridgement, whether to view to the full Sasine?
The full thing will be fairly wordy and repetitive, but it might contain a more detailed description of the land and houses involved.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Halkett owned it all; £688 is the highest value of any property in the Parish.

The only other landowners were Adam Bruce, John Erskine, Adam Stobie, George Chalmers of Pittencrieff and Lord Yester who held the Mill.

The Fife valuations do not include small land holders or portioners - less than 20 roods/rods (about 5 acres).

I took another look at your description of the land and it states 50 falls which is less than 1/2 acre.

Large enough for a house, garden and shop and not much more.  Or...a tenement all in Cairniehill (which is a village) and lays within the boundaries of the estate.  If it didn't it would have been listed separately.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline humanracer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Halkett owned it all; £688 is the highest value of any property in the Parish.

The only other landowners were Adam Bruce, John Erskine, Adam Stobie, George Chalmers of Pittencrieff and Lord Yester who held the Mill.

The Fife valuations do not include small land holders or portioners - less than 20 roods/rods (about 5 acres).

I took another look at your description of the land and it states 50 falls which is less than 1/2 acre.

Large enough for a house, garden and shop and not much more.  Or...a tenement all in Cairniehill (which is a village) and lays within the boundaries of the estate.  If it didn't it would have been listed separately.

Don

Thanks

My house has a "burden" which says that any coal and stone found under the property is reserved to Sir Peter Arthur Halket of Pitfirrane, his heirs and successors.