Author Topic: Patrick BARRETT brickwall  (Read 7520 times)

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick BARRETT brickwall
« on: Friday 13 July 18 04:53 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall and could use some help.

I can’t find Patrick Barrett’s birth record or confirm his parents in NSW.
On his death certificate it has place of birth near Yass.
He died 1919 North Sydney aged 60. Buried at Gore Hill. Father Robert Barrett and Mother Mary Green. The informant was his youngest son.

On his daughter’s birth certificate it lists The place of birth for Patrick as Molonglo NSW and he is aged 28 in 1891.

So his birth year should be around 1859 – 1863. I have broaden the search on NSW BMD from 1850 – 1865 and I can’t find one record of a Patrick Barrett being born near Yass or being born with Robert as the Father and Mary as the Mother.

I left both parents off in case their first names were wrong and I still couldn’t find a match that was close enough. I found a match for a Patrick Barrett in Goulburn for 1863 with Patrick as the Father and Mary as the mother but I have doubts its my one.

I have tried a few different spelling variations for Barrett but nothing close.

I can’t find a marriage record for Robert Barrett or Mary Green either in NSW, even if I leave the first names off.
I have checked a few other states and haven’t found anything. I have considered they could have been married overseas.

I haven’t found a death record for Patrick's father  Robert Barrett. On the assumption if Patrick was born in NSW his parents came out here and stayed out here. Searching from 1860- 1930 on NSW BMD. There is few on there but once I double check the obits on Trove the ages or areas don’t match up.

I have the marriage record for Patrick Barrett. He married Elizabeth Griggs in 1886 at Braidwood but unfortunately the place of Birth and parents come up as none recorded.

I have considered Patrick may have come to Australia as a grown man either from England or Ireland but I have 2 records stating he was born in NSW.

I think I am either missing something or one of the records I have has given me the wrong information.
I have checked a few incoming passenger records but its hard to pin point any match that could be my Patrick.

Can someone give me some help or ideas?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick BARRETT brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 18 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You mention the marriage cert has no names recorded for the 1886 marriage registered Braidwood district.   So likely you have either an official transcription or the actual real deal certificate for that NSW registration...  Perhaps you may consider having a read through the following thread (although it is becoming quite long, sorry) as it is not unusual for NSW BDM marriages in that era to have blanks.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

Let me know if I can help further, particularly if you have name of clergy or at least the denomination.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 18 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You mention the marriage cert has no names recorded for the 1886 marriage registered Braidwood district.   So likely you have either an official transcription or the actual real deal certificate for that NSW registration...  Perhaps you may consider having a read through the following thread (although it is becoming quite long, sorry) as it is not unusual for NSW BDM marriages in that era to have blanks.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

Let me know if I can help further, particularly if you have name of clergy or at least the denomination.

JM

Hi JM

That was very interesting your thread on Marriage certificates with blanks. It explains a bit.
I thought maybe they were left blank because Patrick Barrett was a Catholic and Elizabeth Griggs his bride, her family was Church of England. So I thought that may have been a reason.
I have the transcript.
The marriage was 8th Feb 1886 at St Bedes church Braidwood. Roman Catholic.
The minister was Michael D'arcy.
I don't if that can help with any searching?

Kind regards

Tom.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 18 06:00 BST (UK) »

Who is the informant for the birth of daughter, 1891?

What names do you see for witnesses on marriage record, 1886?

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 18 06:12 BST (UK) »

Who is the informant for the birth of daughter, 1891?

What names do you see for witnesses on marriage record, 1886?

The informant for birth of the daughter is Patrick. That is where I get the born at Molonglo from. They are living at Braidwood then.

The witnesses at the marriage are Henry Griggs, I know that is Elizabeth's brother and the other witness is Elizabeth Barrett. Struggling to trace her back to Patrick. I have searched for her birth recs with Robert & Mary as parents. Found nothing. I have looked for a few marriages for her in case she was his Sister. I have also considered she could be his Mother if the death certificate was wrong.
Nothing really concrete yet on her.

Kind regards
Tom

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
Death/funeral notices from Trove. Given the common Braidwood theme it might be worth pursuing the possibility of the parents being the Patrick/Mary you've looked at.
Peter

Death notice (SMH Sat 25 May): Patrick Barrett. 18 May, 1918, at his residence, Reedsdale, Braidwood, aged 97.

Death notice: (SMH 6 Jan 1919): Patrick Barrett. 4 Jan 1919, at the Mater Misericordiea Hospital, beloved husband of Elizabeth Barrett of Bega, Mitchell Street, St Leonards, aged 60 years, late of Braidwood.

Funeral notice: (SMH 6 Jan 1919): The relatives and friends of Mrs Elizabeth Barrett and family are invited to attend the funeral of her late husband and their father, Patrick; to leave Bega, Mitchell Street St Leonards this day at 10.30 a.m. for Catholic Cemetery, Gore Hill.
Walter Bruce Undertaker, ‘phone North 923, Lane Cove Road, Crow’s Nest.

Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
Death/funeral notices from Trove. Given the common Braidwood theme it might be worth pursuing the possibility of the parents being the Patrick/Mary you've looked at.
Peter

Death notice (SMH Sat 25 May): Patrick Barrett. 18 May, 1918, at his residence, Reedsdale, Braidwood, aged 97.

Death notice: (SMH 6 Jan 1919): Patrick Barrett. 4 Jan 1919, at the Mater Misericordiea Hospital, beloved husband of Elizabeth Barrett of Bega, Mitchell Street, St Leonards, aged 60 years, late of Braidwood.

Funeral notice: (SMH 6 Jan 1919): The relatives and friends of Mrs Elizabeth Barrett and family are invited to attend the funeral of her late husband and their father, Patrick; to leave Bega, Mitchell Street St Leonards this day at 10.30 a.m. for Catholic Cemetery, Gore Hill.
Walter Bruce Undertaker, ‘phone North 923, Lane Cove Road, Crow’s Nest.

Thanks McGroger.
The last 2 are him.

I looked into the Barrett's of Reidsdale. Not too long ago.  I found the family Patrick Barrett and Ellen Comans. There is a few trees on Ancestry linking my Patrick and Elizabeth Griggs to their trees. quite a few of that family seem to be around the Reidsdale area. My Patrick was a touch south  around Brushy Hill in 1891.
I don't know on that one. I need a bit more proof.

Kind Regards
Tom

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 July 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
 :)

http://stbedesb.nsw.edu.au/parish/  Perhaps if you make initial enquiry via email, asking how you go about learning of the location of that parish register for 1886, and attaching pdf of the m.c. showing the blanks, perhaps ... well a response should at least give location of the register.  These registers are usually findable.

ADD ... they do have a nominal charge ... scroll down...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 July 18 07:12 BST (UK) »

What children do you have for Patrick BARRETT and Elizabeth GRIGGS?

What occupation for Patrick BARRETT?

What date and place of death do you have for Elizabeth BARRETT nee GRIGGS?