Author Topic: Patrick BARRETT brickwall  (Read 7518 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick BARRETT brickwall
« Reply #54 on: Monday 16 July 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the Barrett's or Reidsdale are not related. A shame it would have made the searching easier.  ;)

Kind Regards
Tom

I am popping the following here, so that others know the details that are NOT for your BARRETT family, as there are several RChatters who go to the Archives at Kingswood just to take images of the files there, to then share those images with RChat enquirers.

NSW State Archives
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/keyname  and also https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research
and of course Quick Links
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/
and this webinar recording on NSW Probate Records…  (about an hour long) https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/webinars/nsw-probate-records

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/594678
Deceased Estates ONLINE Index
John BARRETT, Reidsdale, DD 29 Sept 1882 reel 3025
Michael BARRETT, Reidsdale DD 2 Dec 1888 Duty Paid 24 Aug 1889  reel 3026
Patrick BARRETT, Reidsdale near Braidwood, DD 18 May 1918, Duty Paid 25 Feb 1818,  reel 3033.
E GRIGG, Braidwood, DD 3 Feb 1913, Duty 21 May 1913, reel 3031
Eliza GRIGG, Packwood, Braidwood, DD 21 Mar 1935, Duty 22 Dec 1936, widow

James GRIGGS, Durran Durran near Braidwood (nope, not my spelling error !) DD 4 Jan 1884. JM notes index shows Z03882 [20/6990] so possibly a ziltch file

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/594678
Reidsdale near Jembaicumbene Creek Road from Araluen to Braidwood, Parish of Seymour, County of St Vincent.  Part of grants to Patrick and Thoms BARRETT, John Caitlin and David Reid  1838 to 1856, Vol 3441, Folio…

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 30 July 18 03:48 BST (UK) »
:)

http://stbedesb.nsw.edu.au/parish/  Perhaps if you make initial enquiry via email, asking how you go about learning of the location of that parish register for 1886, and attaching pdf of the m.c. showing the blanks, perhaps ... well a response should at least give location of the register.  These registers are usually findable.

ADD ... they do have a nominal charge ... scroll down...

JM

Thank you very much JM for your advice on the parish registers. It was worth the effort.

I contacted St Bedes at Braidwood and they provided me with the missing details from my original marriage transcription.
I now have a 2nd source stating Patrick was born at Molonglo.
Age given  in 1886 was 24.
There is a confliction on the Father.
It now has John Reeves (occupation carpenter) as his Father as (opposed to Robert Barrett) and a slight change on the first name for his Mother Ann Green instead of Mary Green.

Do you or anyone else know.
Patrick was married in a catholic church, would he in 1886 have to have provided a copy of his baptismal certificate to the Minister before the marriage?
If he did, would that surely mean the parents listed on his marriage record are more likely to be correct, than his death certificate?

Kind regard
Tom

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:01 BST (UK) »
The info on the marriage register is information given first hand, while the info on the death register cannot be first hand, so in that sense it is sensible to place more reliance on a marriage register than on a death register.   Remember too that in the 1880s that the respect shown to clergy was far greater than that shown today.    I notice that the surname of Patrick's dad is different from the surname Patrick used on marriage.  To me that is a positive to indicating the info on the marriage is truthful.    Whether a baptism certificate was required or not .... that depends on the individual clergy, but the info Patrick gave about himself is the critical factor, NSW BDM did not require certified proof handed to the clergy for the marriage to take place.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:26 BST (UK) »
The info on the marriage register is information given first hand, while the info on the death register cannot be first hand, so in that sense it is sensible to place more reliance on a marriage register than on a death register.   Remember too that in the 1880s that the respect shown to clergy was far greater than that shown today.    I notice that the surname of Patrick's dad is different from the surname Patrick used on marriage.  To me that is a positive to indicating the info on the marriage is truthful.    Whether a baptism certificate was required or not .... that depends on the individual clergy, but the info Patrick gave about himself is the critical factor, NSW BDM did not require certified proof handed to the clergy for the marriage to take place.

JM

Thanks JM.

The two different father's names have confused the situation more but I was hoping that the information on the marriage record was more reliable. As you say given first hand which is better.
Someone told me Patrick & Elizabeth (who was church of England) may have had to produce their baptism certificates to get the ministers approval to marry in a Catholic church. I kind of hoped that was the case so I could believe the marriage record over the death certificate.

I now have a few more names to start searching for.

Kind regards
Tom

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:43 BST (UK) »
you should believe the marriage over the death   Whether a baptismal cert was produced or otherwise is not the critical issue.   Even in the 1970s in NSW the clergy did not require proof of name, particularly if they knew of you or of your family.   In rural districts - sparse population, so likely the clergy knew of Patrick or of his family back in the 1880s and earlier. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
I will look up my offline resources for that era and districts later, perhaps tomorrow. Electoral rolls, etc...  I am not home at present.

JM

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 30 July 18 06:49 BST (UK) »
I will look up my offline resources for that era and districts later, perhaps tomorrow. Electoral rolls, etc...  I am not home at present.

JM

Thank you

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 04:50 BST (UK) »

dots not quite joining up, but worthwhile following the trail ...

NSW ER 1870 QUEANBEYAN
Robert REEVES, residence, Molonglo
John BARRETT, leasehold, Gundaroo
None with surname GREEN

NSW ER 1878 QUEANBEYAN
None with surname REEVES

NSW ER 1870 BRAIDWOOD
Thomas REEVES, household, Braidwood

GREVILLES PO Directory 1875 BRAIDWOOD
Thomas REEVES, labourer
Edward GREEN, bootmaker
Patrick BARRETT, contractor (I may have posted this detail earlier)

Robert, son of Robert (a carpenter) and Susan REEVES, was born 20 April 1863 at Molonglo, was baptised in the Church of England’s Christ Church, Queanbeyan on 10 May 1863.   The officiating clergy was A D Soares as per the church register.

Elizabeth, daughter of Robert (a carpenter) and Susan REEVES was born 10 September 1864 at Molonglo, and baptised in the C of E’s Christ Church, Queanbeyan on 9 October 1864 by Rev A D Soares as per church register.

JM

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 05:46 BST (UK) »

dots not quite joining up, but worthwhile following the trail ...

NSW ER 1870 QUEANBEYAN
Robert REEVES, residence, Molonglo
John BARRETT, leasehold, Gundaroo
None with surname GREEN

NSW ER 1878 QUEANBEYAN
None with surname REEVES

NSW ER 1870 BRAIDWOOD
Thomas REEVES, household, Braidwood

GREVILLES PO Directory 1875 BRAIDWOOD
Thomas REEVES, labourer
Edward GREEN, bootmaker
Patrick BARRETT, contractor (I may have posted this detail earlier)

Robert, son of Robert (a carpenter) and Susan REEVES, was born 20 April 1863 at Molonglo, was baptised in the Church of England’s Christ Church, Queanbeyan on 10 May 1863.   The officiating clergy was A D Soares as per the church register.

Elizabeth, daughter of Robert (a carpenter) and Susan REEVES was born 10 September 1864 at Molonglo, and baptised in the C of E’s Christ Church, Queanbeyan on 9 October 1864 by Rev A D Soares as per church register.

JM

Thank you JM
Its something to go on. Its proof there was a Reeves family at Molonglo in the period Patrick was born.
I saw a marriage record on NSW BMD index for a Robert Reeves and Susan Green in 1862 at Queanbeyan. Now doubt the family you found above with the birth of the children. Different first names to what I am looking for though. Maybe the Robert Reeves you found had a brother John and maybe Susan Green had a Sister Ann.  The carpenter reference was very interesting.

Kind regards
Tom