Author Topic: Patrick Madden Born Abt 1800 County Derry  (Read 725 times)

Offline Mark Smith Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I come from the land down-under.
    • View Profile
Patrick Madden Born Abt 1800 County Derry
« on: Friday 13 July 18 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi to All,
I am hoping to find some more information about my wife's 4x grandfather Patrick Madden. So far we have his death certificate in Victoria Australia in 1870 and some marriage and death certificates from some of his children. They all point to the family coming from Country Derry.

Patrick died in Kilmore, Victoria in 1870. His death certificate states he was 70 years old, he had been living in Victoria for 19 years, he married when he was 36 to May Louglin in County Derry and there were four children Hannah aged 32, John 28, Susan 24 and Mary 19. Patricks parents were recorded as unknown.

Hannah appears to have been born in Portglenone Antrim. John and Susan in County Derry.

We have not been able to find exactly when and on what ship he arrived in they arrived in Australia, nor what became of his wife Mary or youngest daughter Mary (who may have been born over here or on the ship).   Also his wife Mary's surname has had various spellings on certificates we have sighted - Loughlin, O'Loghlin, Loheran (could be the writing) and Loughnen.

The usual we-sites have revealed nothing from their begginings in Ireland, so hoping that there is another Madden researcher who has lost a Patrick!

We look forward to any responses.
Mark Smith
Canberra, Australia