Author Topic: Bradford, Scholemoor Cemetary plan  (Read 4605 times)

guest189040

Bradford, Scholemoor Cemetary plan
« on: Friday 13 July 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
We went to the Archive in Bradford yesterday where I obtained the grave details of members of my family ( Unconcrated 3 grave numbers 1435 and 1443 ).

There was not a full plan of Scholemoor at the Archive, just a who series of unlinked blockplans.

I took a screen image of the Block plan the shows the graves I wanted to find and thought it would be a fairly easy task to find said graves at the cemetery

When we got there, Scholemoor had no staff there and try as we may we could not find the section concerned. 

We did find sections 2, 3, & 4 but the graves in section 3 were all above 1500.

I have search prior posts but could not find what I am seeking.

Does anyone know of a plan with the block references ?

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford, Scholemoor Cemetary plan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

There is a block plan on www.yorkshireindexers.info

If you look at the 'Gallery' section and put Scholemoor into the search on the 'Cemeteries plans' section, on the very last page (7) there is a block plan of the cemetery.

Hope this helps you,

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Bradford FHS have published MIs for Scholemoor, including a plan, but they have used a different scheme for identifying the sections. The MIs are listed according to which section they are in, but they don't seem to be numbered or identified any more precisely.

If you can post the names you're looking for (or PM me) I can check this for you, and by comparing results with the Yorkshire Indexers plan, it might be possible to work out where they are. However, this is MIs only, not burials, so if there wasn't a memorial when they were recorded I won't find them.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the responses.

I have joined the Yorkshire indexes site and found the plan.

No wonder we were struggling, there are section 3’s all over the place.

At least with a printout of the plan we stand a chance of finding the graves.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
As you know the grave locations section & grave number details - they don't usually make admin service charge to supply info on exact location copy plot maps- ( There maybe/could be a small minuscule copy sheet print off charge  per A 3 or A 4 per sheet)

(make sure you know where the grave(s) are in either consecrated, or unconsecrated or municipal ground sections .)

https://online.bradford.gov.uk/ufs/CONTACT_US.eb?ID=71e7a58c5d20f658dbab79797a486aa7ffe6b24a2d328832&ebd=0&ebz=1_1531530833091

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 July 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, we did contact the service prior to our visit to ensure that records would be available.

The charges we were quoted were a flat £11 per search action where they did the research.

Given the numbers involved we thought it best to go to the Archives.

Print charges in the Archives were 10p an A4 sheet.

We are now all sorted and ready for the next trip to Bradford.

The Archives there do not seem to be as well setup as Lancashire Archives in Preston.

Offline Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

The attached link below is the said map of unconsecrated section 3 of Scholemoor that you're looking for  ;)
I too have had many issues with the finding of graves within that cemetery over the years. As not only are the sections hard to identify, the ordering of plots is at times ridiculous whereas the next grave in sequence is 50-100 yards away.
 Looking at the map, the top right hand corner is the Necropolis road entrance to the cemetery with the carriage road (now the main driveway) running down the right hand side of the map going down the hill (from top to bottom) towards the crematorium/chapel of rest.
 The graves you are looking for are towards the bottom right hand side.

https://s5.postimg.cc/v3ykfwzuf/unconsecrated_02.jpg

Above link is only active for 31 days from posting so to avoid disappointment later download/save now!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pete.
Thompson - Sheffield + Darfield
Azzopardi - Malta + Portugal
Blamires - Cleckheaton
Bowers - East Yorkshire + Wharfedale
Harper - Wolverhampton
Pickles - Bradford
Wright - Craven District + Bradford
West - Bradford

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry Pete my mistake. I was looking at it wrong and thought you had got it wrong.
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline millerose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 November 19 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

There is a block plan on www.yorkshireindexers.info

If you look at the 'Gallery' section and put Scholemoor into the search on the 'Cemeteries plans' section, on the very last page (7) there is a block plan of the cemetery.

Hope this helps you,

Ian

Hi Ian,

The above website is on an outage and I cannot see the map nor register? is there another map floating around? I am looking for a particular section and grave....how easy are the graves to identify if there are no names or markings do you know?
thanks in advance.