Author Topic: Sarah Weller, Amersham 1853  (Read 1201 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Sarah Weller, Amersham 1853
« on: Friday 13 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
The birth of Sara or Sarah Weller was registered in Amersham in the second quarter of 1853; she was baptized there on 15 June.  Might some kind soul be able to find a newspaper announcement of her birth, or some other source that would give the date?

Her parents were William Weller, brewer, and his wife Lydia née Holloway.
I'm fairly sure she was the one who married first Dr Frederick Edmund Hubbard and, after his early death, Dr Robert Charles Brown who was lodging with her (and who had probably taken over Hubbard's practice).
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Weller, Amersham 1853
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
The closest I can find is a birth announcement in the Bucks Herald 21 May 1853. It reads

"On 17th inst., at Amersham, the lady of Mr Weller, a daughter"

Not the most informative of birth announcements!

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 18 15:40 BST (UK) »

Try getting in contact with Amersham Museum?     

https://amershammuseum.org/history/people/17th-18th-centuries/the-weller-family/

Unfortunateley there are a few trees around with her baptism date in her birth date.    ::)   

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your very swift response, Emeltom.

As you say, not very informative; but in view of the registration (gleaned from FreeBMD) and baptism I feel she must be the one.

Yes, Ray: many who submit trees to fAncestry just don't seem to grasp that there's a difference between birth and baptism.  I've come across people who were not baptized until their twenties, probably because a clergyman declined to marry them in church until they'd been "done".  More common was for several siblings of different ages to be lined up at the font together.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
From BucksFHS -  St Mary the Virgin, Amersham Transcripts CD.

Marriage. 31 Aug 1887- by Licence.
Frederick Edmund HUBBARD, aged 29, Bachelor of Diss, Norfolk, Dr of Medicine son of Thomas Hubbard, Gentleman
Sarah WELLER, aged 33, Spinster of Amersham daughter of William Weller, Brewer
Witnesses - W Sinclair Cameron, Gladys Heath Weller, Wm Weller.

Baptism - 7 Jun 1872   Gladys Heath child of George & Blanche Heath WELLER of Plantation Cottage, Amersham, Gentleman.

Baptism - 11 Dec 1844. George , son of William & Lydia WELLER of High St, Amersham, Common Brewer.
Baptism - 15 Jun 1853. Sarah, daughter of William & Lydia WELLER of Amersham, Brewer

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 July 18 09:20 BST (UK) »

As you say . . . . .

Marriage 1839 Jun Amersham 6 389 William Weller / Lydia Holloway     

Birth 1853 Jun Amersham 3a 305 Sarah Weller ( mmn Holloway )     

So, order Sarah's birth certificate from GRO?     

[ https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp ]     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Steve.

As you see, she was older than her first husband and quite a few years older than her second, whom she married in St Marylebone in 1902.  He had been lodging with her in Diss when the census was taken the previous year, and I assume had (temporarily) taken over Hubbard's practice after his early death.

Mostly it's the clergymen who marry older women.  Are they basically insecure and need a mother substitute, or are there sound practical reasons?