Author Topic: Help with info on someone 'Mentioned in Desptaches' 1943  (Read 822 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with info on someone 'Mentioned in Desptaches' 1943
« on: Friday 13 July 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
My husband is documenting a former soldier who was 'Mentioned in Despatches' 1943. The Army is in contact with the individual already, but would like to present their findings on his service at a special celebration. The Gentleman concerned is still alive and over 100 years of age.  I have some details I can share if anyone is able to help?

Many thanks in advance. Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with info on someone 'Mentioned in Desptaches' 1943
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
We know that this gentleman appears on the 'Forces-War-Records.co.uk', site and wondered if a current subscriber could do us a big favour and find his record for us?

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Forces War Records will not have his service record which is still held by the Ministry of Defence.  Have a look at the "Collections list" and set 1939-1945 and you will see what they have.. Although it lists Awards and MIDs it will be a reference to the London Gazette publication date which invariably will be a name on a list which you can look up free on the LG site.
What details do you have already?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD, the gentleman concerned is known to my husband's Corp. There was a recent visit by the Corp and a piece in local press. What my husband would like to have is sight of the 1943 citation to included in a written piece on the man. He has seen a possible record on the forces War Records site, but it appears to be only viewable by subscription.

Thanks for your interest . Kit

edit: This I personal endeavour on my husband's part and not being funded by the Corp

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have you checked:

National Archives documents WO 373/90/1 and WO 373/91/1 (whichever is relevant to your man - the theatre of war and year is in the title).  These, which are incomplete, are the only compilation of lists of citations for MID.  They can be downloaded for free.

The London Gazette for the publication and a clue as to the area of endeavour.  This is best searched with his service number.  A typical list would be preceded by: "The names of the undermentioned have been 'brought to notice in recognition of distinguished  services in connection with operations in the field [date]."

Checked the unit war diary for possible reference to the event.

Checked the home town newspapers which often carried reports of the background to an award.

The regimental museum.

I list all these for you to consider while you await a result.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
Much appreciated.  We will get on with searching  :)

Kit