Author Topic: Evan Davies of St. Martins, Shropshire.  (Read 1195 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Davies of St. Martins, Shropshire.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Excellent work Gadget.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Trish. Although I'm not sure that these are the OPs family.

The mother's birth place was a surprise but the link might well be Thomas Telford who was in charge of the building of the Menai Bridge, the viaduct and acquaducts* in the Chirk-Froncysyllte area (Shropshire canal)  and improvements to the A5.

There are quite a few families who moved to the area from  Anglesey  in the early 19c.

Gadget

* the Chirk aquaduct is very close to Pontfaen. When I was a young girl, we used to picnic in the fields by the River Ceiriog lying between Pontfaen and the aquaduct  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 July 19 15:04 BST (UK) »
I must first apologise for not responding to the answers to my question which I've just found. I think I must have missed the notifications due to email problems.
Many thanks for the replies. The nearest suggestion seems to be that by Gadget of Evan Davis, the son of John and Margaret of Pont Faen, baptised Chirk, 16 Jan 1814. The date fits and Pont Faen was in the parish of St Martins, where Evan said he was born, also Evan did name one of his sons John, and he was a miner like Evan.
However, I'm still worried that Evan named his first son William and he didn't name any of his daughters Margaret.
None of the children of Evan and of his son William were baptised in the Anglican church and it's certain that they were non-conformists. As St. Martins' non-conformist records seem not to be available, it is proving to be difficult to be sure of Evan's parents.