Author Topic: British POWs sank with the Lisbon Maru - should it be raised ?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
British POWs sank with the Lisbon Maru - should it be raised ?
« on: Saturday 14 July 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
A Chinese film-maker wants to raise a Japanese ship that was sunk in 1942 with hundreds of British prisoners of war on board. Some of the victims' families back the idea, but one of the survivors says it's a war grave, and should be left where it lies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44814053

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: British POWs sank with the Lisbon Maru - should it be raised ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
The ship has been on the sea bed for 76 years, what "bodies" do they think that they are going to find?

As a nation it is only recently that we have started repatriating our war dead.  And as an ex-serviceman I am very much against this.

By the time the money is raised and the expedition carried out there will be no one left to grieve. Their parents are dead. Their wives soon will be. Any children must be over 76 years old - if they can be found.

Apart from a mawkish film maker and his morbid interest - who will benefit? A war grave is a war grave and is protected by international law. Personally I find the whole idea distasteful and distressing.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 18 18:58 BST (UK) »

By the time the money is raised and the expedition carried out there will be no one left to grieve. Their parents are dead. Their wives soon will be. Any children must be over 76 years old - if they can be found.

Apart from a mawkish film maker and his morbid interest - who will benefit? A war grave is a war grave and is protected by international law. Personally I find the whole idea distasteful and distressing.

Regards

Chas

and

one survivor says it's a war grave, and should be left where it lies

My opinion is I agree with Chas and respect the survivor
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
There is nothing to be gained by raising the Lisbon Maru - leave it alone.
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
The ship has been on the sea bed for 76 years, what "bodies" do they think that they are going to find?

As a nation it is only recently that we have started repatriating our war dead.  And as an ex-serviceman I am very much against this.

Regards

Chas

It is not as simple as that, as the article mentions most of those who perished were prisoners, we must therefore consider the argument that until their bodies are repatriated they are still imprisoned.

This is a different situation than one in which sailors went down with their ship as they are among friends in what was their home from home.

I would therefore want to know what resources were going to be put in place to identify the remains and repatriate them before considering whether to raise the ship or not.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
My Uncle was lost on this hell ship.    He and all his companions should be left alone.   There may not be many bodies actually in the ship as the hatches were broken open by the prisoners.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 July 18 22:39 BST (UK) »

It is not as simple as that, as the article mentions most of those who perished were prisoners, we must therefore consider the argument that until their bodies are repatriated they are still imprisoned.

No, that is false logic. If it was true and important that dead prisoners were brought home then why has nobody suggested bringing home those who died on the Burma Railway, or those who died in Changi, or those who died in the various Nazi PoW camps?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
With 25-years of Service, I too find the idea abhorrent. A war grave, regardless of circumstance, should not be disturbed; respect the dead and let them lie in peace. I doubt sufficient funds could be obtained to not only raise the vessel but also DNA test remains against descendants. Therefore, what guarantee will descendants have that every skeleton returned to them will be their ancestor's bones alone? None, due to cost not every bone will be tested!
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 July 18 04:57 BST (UK) »
They have been with their mates for over seventy years.  It should be treated as a war cemetery and left there.  The Lisbon Maru isn't the only hell ship sunk in the China Sea.  My cousin was on the Rakuyo Maru.  It too was sunk by an American sub.  There was no signage on the ship to indicate that there were prisoners on board and they waited before starting the rescue.   Is he going to look for the other hell ships sunk and raise them too?
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531