Author Topic: Burials in Roecliffe area  (Read 2651 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Roecliffe area
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 July 18 06:58 BST (UK) »
Image 1 of the burial register.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 July 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Actually if you look at the first pages of the book shown on Find My Past, which contains the burial of Mark Kirby (in the Yorkshire burials dataset) -- it simply says 'The Parish of Ripon' -- it doesn't say a particular Church name (the Cathedral was a church I think at the time of Mark's burial - not that it makes any difference).

There is also a note saying the first 10 burials are copied from the old register - the book starts in 1826. Might be useful to see the 'old register'.

Maybe whichever North Yorkshire Archives hold the Registers could help you more with this query - as to whether the parish register is a collection from the surrounding places as well as that particular church (and also see if the 'old register' is there!) I believe it became a Cathedral later.

I must confess I don't know which Archive covers Ripon --- maybe York? There is also an Archive at Northallerton, but I'm really not sure if there are others for that area.
If you search for Mark Kirby on FindMyPast this is what it says for his burial:

Kirby   Mark   1825   1826   1826   Yorkshire Burials   Ripon, Cathedral, Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Which is why I assumed that the record came from the Cathedral. I have tried looking for a list of graveyards in the Boroughbridge/Bondgate area but there's none that give dates to when they were in use.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Yes -- but did you go back through the filmed Parish Register to the beginning of the book?

I thought the fact that it said the first 10 burials were copied from the old book was interesting. I have followed BumbeB's example and copied it below (I didn't know whether I could without getting my hands slapped!)

The comment below is on Page 3 (of the numbers used by Find My Past)---- your Mark's burial is on page 8. Again this is the page number used by Find My Past -- in the actual register Mark is on Page 10. The comment made by the vicar is on the page preceding page 1 in the numbers used at the top of the pages in the Register.

So sorry I probably haven't explained that very well -- I have even confused myself!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I just looked at them and saw the notes. So, really, the pages on FindMyPast are compiled from different sources (different churches in the area)?

I've looked on gravestonephotos & they say Boroughbridge, Aldborough & Ripon churches are fully transcribed but there's no Kirby/Kirkbys in any of their transcripts. I'm running out of ideas of places they could be buried.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi 'Ben',

I honestly don't know -- I just wondered if the 'old' book may provide more clues -- but it might not.

Often a register for a 'Mother Church' is divided up into sections showing events which have occurred in the various churches it covers as often the same vicar travelled from church to church to conduct ceremonies and services. This doesn't seem to be the case here though, as the entries are in a single list.

Finding actual burial locations can be really difficult sometimes - you would think the person WOULD be buried in the same location where there is a burial recorded in a register.

I am so sorry not to be able to help -- but maybe, just maybe the 'old' book could provide clues if you can trace it.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
I agree, I think, other than walking round each church and graveyard in each of the surrounding parishes, the 'old registers' will be the only way to find their burial places. I think that if the 'old register' still exists it'll be at the Northallerton archives. I'll have to phone and ask them.

Thank you so much for all your help with this.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. FindMyPast have images of the original cathedral burial register, and this records a burial in 1826. In most cases a burial entry is all we'll ever find to tell us where someone is buried.

Some graves have memorials, but by no means all, and some of these have been transcribed by family or local history societies, or contributors to sites like Findagrave.

Some churches have plans and reference numbers to identify graves, and these might appear in registers, but in my experience only a small proportion of churches do.

In the absence of a plan or memorial identifying an individual's burial plot, all you can do is make a best guess: might they be in a family member's grave that's easier to identify? Or from the dates on stones that do exist, can you work out which bit of the churchyard was being used for burials on that particular date?

But in many (most?) cases, the burial register entry is as good as it gets.

(Ripon is admittedly a bit complicated in that the parish included a lot of townships with their own churches. Some of these had their own registers, but with others, for some dates at least, entries were included in the cathedral registers. However, in such cases the entries will usually make clear where a burial took place.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 19:21 GMT (UK) »
New thread continuing from this at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806629.0

As that has fresh replies I'll ask for this one to be locked.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk