Author Topic: Beatrice / Beatrick Keith  (Read 501 times)

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
Beatrice / Beatrick Keith
« on: Saturday 14 July 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help with finding the parent of Beatrice Keith. According to records she married Alexander Strath / Straith 23rd September 1766. The records show as residing in New Machar at this time.
I believe her husband Alexander died in 1769, the year their son William, my 3rd Great Grandfather was born. I can't however find any record of her after this.

There are a number of records from New Machar that mean I could make an educated guess as to the identity of her parents, but it would be a guess.

If anyone can shed any light on Beatrice's birth or death, (or subsequent marriage) I'd be very grateful

Thanks very much,

Lindsey

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beatrice / Beatrick Keith
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
The only birth I can find on SP that has a remote possibility is an unnamed female Keith at Ellon, baptised 20/07/1736 father William?

No trace on SP of a remarriage or death

I note they had two children, Margaret 7/07/1767 & William 11/07/1769

Margaret may have married John Smith 25/01/1787 Old Machar. (William 1791 &  Alexander 1796 – Aberdeen)

Did William marry Jean Robertson in Old Deer 3/05/1800, or did he marry in Exeter, Devon as one family tree suggests?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Beatrice / Beatrick Keith
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Beatrice's son William Strath did marry in Devon, and is shown on 1851 Census as coming from Aberdeen. It took me a while to work out how he ended up in Devon, but it turns out he joined the  Navy, then fought - and got pensioned off due to wounds - in the Napoleonic Wars. His son Richard moved to Bermondsey - interestingly not too far from Greenwich - which is how I, and my Mum came to be descended from  them.

The census records and military records I have for William show his as being born 1769-1770. However, the clincher for me that Beatrice was his mother is that William has close descendants in Devon with the name Beatrice and/or Keith.

I do have Margaret as his sister, and a number of half brothers and sisters from his father's previous marriages.

I'll have a look at the Ellon baptism you suggest, like you much of my research into the Scots in my family - My dad being born in Leith - is from SP, though I do find that if you put slightly different criteria in the search fields SP can come up with very different results at times.

I guess Beatrice is likely to be a brick wall for me from some time to come, but I'm ever hopeful!

Thanks,

Lindsey