Author Topic: Shand/Bruce/Lawre(a)nce/Cardo.. Information, Joseph b1790 & Willam Shand b1750  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My name is Scott Shand. I'm currently looking for information on my Shand side of the family.

Shand/Bruce/Lawre(a)nce/Cardo.. Information, Joseph b1790 & Willam Shand b1750

Here is my public tree. Shand Family Tree-Scotland I just started it but it has a lot details. https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/152424518/family

Please let me know if have any information. Here is my email.(*)
I'm trying to get information to confirm the below Joseph Shand is my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Shand who died in Noyan, Quebec in 1861. I have him born in 1790 in Scotland on a 1861 Canadian census record. He is a ghost in Scotland after he is baptized. I have my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Shand getting married in Montreal to Ann Yule family from Scotland in 1826. She dies in 1826. He then marries Janet/Jessie Shand from Scotland in Montreal in the same church in 1830. From there I have Joseph on birth and death certs for his children until 1861 when he dies.

The hardest part about the Shand's in Rathen during that time period is that all the males died or left. William and John died in infancy, Robert had one child, a daughter who I have as not married and Joseph left. The Shand line in that area dies. His sisters, Eleanora, Jean and Mary marry into families that were or are still there. Eleanora married John Lawrance/Lawrence, Jean married William Bannerman and Mary married George Cardno.

Thank you very much for any help!!!

Joseph Shand had a William Shand as a witness at both of his weddings. It could have been a cousin? His father had already passed away in Scotland. I can't get any other info on  Joseph's parents except what I have below.

I have William Shand b1750 Married to Isobel Bruce b1751
07 Jul 1778 • Rathen,Aberdeen,Scotland
July 7th William Shand in this Parish was married to Isobel Bruce in the Parish of Abordour (Could be Aberdour)

They had 9 children. Baptisms all at the Mill of Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland except William.

1) William Shand-died in infancy. No Baptism or Death record. He was listed on a monumental inscription from the Kirkyard of Rathen.

2) John Shand baptized13 Apr 1781 death18 Feb 1784
Baptism
 13 Apr 1781 • rathan, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
William Shand Millxxard at Milne of Rathen had a son named John baptized in presence of John Smith in Milne of Rathen & George Yool in Rathen.
Burial
18 Feb 1784 • Mill of Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Register of Burials in the Parish of Rathen 1784 Jo. Shand Son to William Shand at Milne of Rathen

3) Isobel Shand baptized8 Apr 1783 d???
Baptism
8 Apr 1783 • Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
April 8th William Shand at Milne(Mill) of Rathen had a daughter named Isobel baptized
No death or burial record.

4) Eleanora Shand baptized25 Dec 1785 death7 Aug 1857
Baptism
25 Dec 1785 • Rathen, Aberdeen, Scotland
Dec 25th Willm Shand at Milne of Rathen had a daughter named Eleanora baptised in presence of the Congregation
Marriage
21 Sep 1806 • Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Sept 21 John Lawrence and Eleanora Shand both in this parish were married
John Lawrance
(1766–1831)
7 Aug 1857 • Tyacksnook, Lonmay, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Information From: John Lawrance Family of Aberdeenshire, Scotland http://www.lawrence-ons.org/jl2.htm

5)Robert Shand baptized5 Apr 1788 death26 Jul 1848
Baptism
05 Apr 1788 • Rathen,Aberdeen,Scotland
Apr 5th Willm Shand at Mill of Rathen had a son by his wife Isabell Bruce baptized & called Robert
Death
26 Jul 1848 • Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Robert Shand, Elder in this parish-of special disease-aged 60

6) Joseph Shand b2 Feb 1790 buried25 Apr 1861
Baptism
2 Feb 1790 • Mill of Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Feb 28th Wm Shand at Mill of Rathen had a son by his wife Isabel Bruce bapt. called Joseph.
Burial
25 Apr 1861 • Noyan and Foucault, Québec, Canada
On this twenty fifth day of April eighteen hundred and sixty one, the body of Joseph Shand of Noyan, farmer, who deceased on the twenty instant was intured in presense of William Robert Shand & Joseph Shand jr. his sons. Wm R Shand Joseph Shand jr} Witnesses

7) Elisabeth Shand baptized30 Aug 1791 death???
Baptism
30 Aug 1791 • Rathen, Aberdeen, Scotland
Wm Shand at mill of Rathen had a Daughter by his wife Isabel Bruce bapt. xx called Elisabeth

8- Jean Shand baptized27 Jun 1793 death???
Baptism
27 Jun 1793 • Mill of Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
27th June Wm Shand at Mill of Rathen had a daughter by his wife Isabel Bruce bapt. named Jean

9) Mary Shand baptized4 Mar 1797 died???
Baptism
4 Mar 1797 • Mill of Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Baptisms 4th March Wm Shand at Mill of Rathen had a daut by his wife Isa. Bruce bapt named Mary

1 child John not baptized
3 children, John, Isobel and Eleanora, baptized with just father's name. William Shand
5 children, Robert, Joseph, Elisabeth, Jean amd Mary baptized with both William Shand and Isabel Bruce.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shand/Bruce/Lawre(a)nce/Cardo.. Information, Joseph b1790 & Willam Shand b1750
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
The 1781 baptism shows that William Shand operated the mill as he is described as millard (millard or millart = miller).

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shand/Bruce/Lawre(a)nce/Cardo.. Information, Joseph b1790 & Willam Shand b1750
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 18 23:23 BST (UK) »
The 1781 baptism shows that William Shand operated the mill as he is described as millard (millard or millart = miller).

Thank you GR2. Wasn't sure on that.

I did just find something interesting. I looked at that 1781 baptism.
I saw a George Yool there along with John Smith. I am wondering if George Yool could be George Yule. Joseph Shand married a Ann Yule with a John Yule as a witness in 1826. Maybe related?

2) John Shand baptized13 Apr 1781 death18 Feb 1784
Baptism
 13 Apr 1781 • rathan, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
William Shand Millxxard at Milne of Rathen had a son named John baptized in presence of John Smith in Milne of Rathen & George Yool in Rathen.
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
This will probably be your man. A gravestone at Rathen.

This stone was erected by George Yool in Rathen 1770 to the memory of the following
viz. Geo. Nicol G.S. Christn Nicol M. Elizabeth Yool S. Wm. Yool father to foresaid
also these his children Christin, Eliz.. Janet, William & Jean Yools also Mary
Yool d. Nov. 1783 aged about 21, Elisabeth Yool d. 14 Feb. 1785 aged 27. George
Yool d. 12 Dec. 1785 aged 29, John Yool d. 20 Oct. 179[ ] aged 33.
Barbra Addison spouse to the foresaid d. 24 Mar. 1790 aged 56. The 1st named
George Yool d. 8 Apr. 1803 aged 90. Ann Yool spouse to William Gamack, Corskellie
d. 26 June 1823 aged 58; their children Margaret & Jean d. in infancy. Said William
Gamack d. 5 Aug. 1845 aged 74.

G.S. is probably = guidsire = grandfather
M. is probably = mother
S. is probably - sister

The inscription on the neighbouring stone reads:

In memory of Andrew Yool sometime squarewright in Cortes d. 15 Nov. 1775 aged 42;
Margaret Arthur his spouse d. 17 Nov. 1790 aged [  ] also Catharine Yool dau. to
John Yool their son d. 2 June 1794 aged 6.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Also at Rathen:

Here lies the body of John Smith late in Mill of Rathen d. 3 March 1876* in 59th
year; dau. Janet d. Dec 1779 aged 22 also Agnes & George his children. Isabel
Read his spouse d. 9 Feb. 1805 in 77th year. Eleanor their dau., relict of John
Johnston d. 4 Dec. 1825 aged 53; their dau. Dorothea relict of James Johnston
farmer Drumlindle d. 8 Oct. 1833 aged 65.

*This is obviously an error in the transcription. I wonder if the middle numbers have been transposed and it should be 1786.

It looks like your Eleanor may be called after Eleanor Smith.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where do you find this stuff? I'm amazed. Any idea on Joseph Shand's father William Shand b1750 d1823 and mother Isobel Shand b1751 d1836. Monumnetal Inscription Kirkyard of Rathen. Trying to get info on there family. William's brothers and sisters. That may get me out of Rathen. 

Also at Rathen:

Here lies the body of John Smith late in Mill of Rathen d. 3 March 1876* in 59th
year; dau. Janet d. Dec 1779 aged 22 also Agnes & George his children. Isabel
Read his spouse d. 9 Feb. 1805 in 77th year. Eleanor their dau., relict of John
Johnston d. 4 Dec. 1825 aged 53; their dau. Dorothea relict of James Johnston
farmer Drumlindle d. 8 Oct. 1833 aged 65.

*This is obviously an error in the transcription. I wonder if the middle numbers have been transposed and it should be 1786.

It looks like your Eleanor may be called after Eleanor Smith.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The transcriptions come from a booklet of monumental inscriptions from Rathen.

Yool is just another spelling of Yule. It may well be that your Ann Yule is from this family. The only thing we can be certain about is that she is not the daughter of this George Yool/Yule as what are probably his children Ann and John are mentioned on his gravestone and are an earlier generation than your Joseph. If there is any relationship between your Ann and John Yule, they might be grandchildren of George. Difficult to prove, however.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
I might have figured out a connection.

Let me know if you agree. Below is the Baptism record for William Shand b1/5/1750. I believe that this William Shand is the father of Joseph Shand b1790 Mill of Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

SHAND WILLIAM JOHN SHAND/ M 01/05/1750 221/20 31 Methlick

This is based on between 1745-1755 there were 9 William Shand’s born in Scotland according to Scotlandspeople.gov. 5 William Shand’s were born between 1749 and 1751. 3 William Shand’s born between 1749(1) & 1750(2). The fact that the Monumental inscription lists William Shand’s death as 16 Nov 1823 and that he was 73 when he died means he would have had to turn 73 before 16 Nov 1823 or he was born in 1749 after 16 Nov. Based on that, William Shand born to John Shand 1 May 1750 in Methlink, Aberdeenshire, Scotland is the only match.

The transcriptions come from a booklet of monumental inscriptions from Rathen.

Yool is just another spelling of Yule. It may well be that your Ann Yule is from this family. The only thing we can be certain about is that she is not the daughter of this George Yool/Yule as what are probably his children Ann and John are mentioned on his gravestone and are an earlier generation than your Joseph. If there is any relationship between your Ann and John Yule, they might be grandchildren of George. Difficult to prove, however.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Based on that, William Shand born to John Shand 1 May 1750 in Methlink, Aberdeenshire, Scotland is the only match. [\quote]
You may be right, but you have to bear in mind the gaps in the records. It is possible that there were other William Shands whose baptism records have not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.