Author Topic: WW1 injuries - Which Hospitals ?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 injuries - Which Hospitals ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 July 18 02:52 BST (UK) »
thanks so much MaxD! 

I wasn't able to decipher any of the info on those pages so I'm very grateful for your insights....

Now to go find out information about the Loos battle....

Thanks again :-)

Cheers
Lynda
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 July 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
On the attached overall map of the 1915 Battle of Loos, 15 Division in which your great uncle was fighting with 7 Royal Scots Fusiliers is right in the centre of the allied attack.  Their attack path on 25th September can be seen on the map/image at the link below starting about where the present day map says Route de Bethune and moving into and through the village of Loos and beyond to Hill 70 which is in square H31 where the height is marked 68.4, just next to the big H.  There was little opposition up as far as Loos but Hill 70 was heavily defended.  It may be that it was during the latter part of the day that he was wounded.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=13&lat=50.4497&lon=2.8044&layers=101465011&right=BingHyb

I've sent a PM regarding war diaries amd medal records etc.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 July 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
I can't thank you enough MaxD!

I'm so new to military research that I was floundering badly trying to make sense out of what was relevant to his war service and what wasn't... 

Another 'problem' is that once you start to read something, you get lost in it and start to follow all sorts of interesting threads which have very little to do with the original thread you were trying to locate.... lol

Cheers
Lynda
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
The action on 24 August 1918 in which he was wounded again and for which he was decorated was part of the series of allied attacks that became known as the Hundred Days that brought the war to an end in November.

6 Highland Light Infantry, part of the 52nd Division was in action about 4 miles south of Arras.  On the morning of 24 August, their task was to attack a section of the German's Hindenburg Line, starting from positions near the village of Boisieux-au-Mont (on the left of the map). Their objective was the section running from T4 up to N 34, the dotted lines are the enemy trenches, almost exactly where the road name Autoroute du Nord is on the present day image.  In the middle of the day, the battalion were held up by heavy opposition at those objectives.  The area known as Henin Hill where Great Uncle took charge when his officers were all out of action is in the area between Henin sur Cojeul and the present autoroute.  The diary records heavy casualties from machine gun fire in the middle of the day and later intense shell fire making further advances impossible.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=13&lat=50.2271&lon=2.8231&layers=10146507&right=BingHyb

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 July 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
You asked for a "translation" of his pension record.  Attached.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 06:05 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't have known any of this without your expert help MaxD ..

Thank you so much for helping me to understand what those details on his pension record actually meant - I didn't understand the half of it!

Cheers
Lynda

Father's side:

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
Back to the beginning - There was indeed a Tankerton Military Hospital in Kent (Bumblebee's suggestion was right), don't know why I didn't highlight it before.
http://kentww1.com/tankerton-military-hospital/
So he was in four hospitals, two in 1915 and two in 1918.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
thanks MaxD :-)

Father's side: