Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Dutch records?  (Read 549 times)

Offline Angel-Rae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone familiar with Dutch records?
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I’ve recently been given excellent help with some German records. I need any help information or ideas about a missing Dutch death record. My great great grandfather, a German migrated to the Netherlands with his wife and daughter (my dear great grandma, “Oma”) around the turn of last century. He died in 1914. I have a copy of the death announcement including the funeral and wake notice from the Dutch local newspaper. There is no indication that his death happened else where. The announcement didn’t mention the cause, although he died young. The date I have must be correct as it matches this newspaper announcement and is also recorded in the small amount of family history I have regarding his line.

My difficulty is finding his death certificate, it cannot be found in the Dutch Open Archives. Considering there *are* Dutch records pertaining to an infant death and still born child (both his), I can’t work out why his death record is not searchable. As far as I know the records become available after 100 years.

It is possible though not likely that he may have been in the army and if so could the record be missing due to military stuff? From what I know he was a waiter and not enlisted. There was a bit of chaos in The Hague at the time with Belgian refugees fleeing the nazis turning up in large numbers. Could his death record have been lost some how? Would it make a difference that he was not Dutch?

Any input would be greatly appreciated I am basically just intensely curious about his cause of death.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone familiar with Dutch records?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 06:59 BST (UK) »
Have you tried www.WieWasWie.nl/en? (It means Who was Who!)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Angel-Rae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
No. I’m not familiar with this site, I’ll go check it out thank you!
Thank you for the tip. I didn’t find the death record but I did find another document that included the name of my great grandma,s brother which was on my list of mysteries. Thank you again. I’ll go keep searching.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
see if the person you are researching is in someones familytree on www.geneanet.org    good luck  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
I think the Dutch Open Archives is (at least in 2014) still a ''work in progress". More and more archives are being added but it may not be complete on death certificates.

Familysearch.org has a good set of links to Dutch genealogy resources: https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Netherlands_Websites. WieisWie.nl is a good place to start. Another (in Dutch) is https://cbg.nl.

If you help in using the Dutch sites, let me know.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Angel-Rae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your advice. I have searched on Famiky Search and found other records but not his death record.
Thank you for recommending another new place to search I will check it out.

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
or this site  : Digitale Stamboom Den Haag
denhaag.digitalestamboom.nl/(S(zjhocvgqxu4e0qjde3orsbf0))/en/home.htm

click on the tab ‘Browse’
tick in the box :
- Plaats (= Place) :  ’S-Gravenhage
- Bron (= Source) :  BS Overlijden
- Jaar (= Year) :  1914
and click on scan 552  (if it’s not the right one, you can search in the index (- Bron : tafel overlijden))

you can also search via the tab  ‘Search’  /  ‘Zoeken’
- enter a name ( e.g. : Bürger  . . .) in the box next to Family name / patronymic  and click on the bleu box ‘search’
Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline Angel-Rae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the help everyone. I still can’t find a record of his death. It might become available as time goes on.

Actually do you know if there is likely to be any extra information such as cause of death on the certificate? I am on this hunt for extra information since I already have the time and place.

I am very grateful for your help in solving the mystery of my great great uncle. I still can’t find any marriage (I have a picture of his wife with my grandma and her brother so I know he married) or birth documents for him. At least I know his name now. 

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
In general, Dutch death certificates make no mention of the cause of death. They include
- the name, age, job and residence of the person(s) that stated the death had occurred, the date on which they did this an their relationship to the deceased
- date and time of death
- name, age, job, residence, birthplace of the deceased
- names of the deceased's parents (living/dead)
- name of the deceased's current and any previous wife/husband (living/dead)

Notes from any medical examination of the deceased are considered 'confidential'. Some towns keep records of these but are not required to do so.

I'm a not-so-active member of a Dutch genealogy forum that is much like Rootschat. Their tip for finding 'cause of death' is to use indirect sources (newspapers, church records, etc.). If you post (or PM) the details you have of your GGF and his family, I could post a request for help on the Dutch forum in finding your GGU's death certificate.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.