Author Topic: Find My Past - pre emptive/predictive search problem?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past - pre emptive/predictive search problem?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 July 18 23:32 BST (UK) »
I find the autofill useful and annoying in equal measures.

When I'm doing what the authors consider "normal" things, such as filling in screens in Amazon or eBay, it works a treat.

When I'm filling in search fields, it gets in the way, believing that I really want to search for me, my email address and my postcode. Luckily starting to type over the given name normally clears the rest of the fields.

It's not half as annoying as when Ancestry fills in (unbidden) ALL the search fields using a random person from my online tree who happens to have the same given name as the person I was intending to search for. Say I am looking in the 1861 census for William Henry McIntosh, born Scotland around 1830 and living in Kent. I don't find him as William McIntosh, so I click "Edit Search" and change the first name to Henry. Ancestry then leap into action and change the fields to search for Henry Higgins, born Leicester, Leicestershire, England 1877, died Leicester, Leicestershire, England 1878, father John Higgins, Mother Mary Wilson. Cancelling the Edit correctly returns to the search results, but Ancestry have now remembered the abomination, and Edit Search now returns to the "Henry Higgins". Of course they fill in fields I would rarely use so the only safe way is to clear the whole lot and start again. I know there's a "clear" somewhere at the bottom, but I find it easier to close the tab and start again from scratch.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 July 18 03:06 BST (UK) »
I have the same problem Squawk, and also the thing on Ancestry where it insists on filling in the search box with someone from my existing tree.

I use Windows 10 & Chrome, but the auto-fill has only really become an issue in the last month or two so I don't know if its as a result of some update or other.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 July 18 09:32 BST (UK) »

What LANGUAGE is it set to?  English English or American English etc.....
Definitely our English, I did the setup myself and remember choosing British English, I always do.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 July 18 06:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies and interest. I stopped using Chrome because of its gross propensity to data mine. 100's of cookies after only a short period of searching. I know all the rest do much the same but I don't appear to have the same number of flagrant creepy crawly cookies. The search box issue had intensified as another user has also noted and it may well be an update of Win10, who knows. I'm happy to continue with FireFox for a few more weeks but the data I cut and paste adopts a different format requiring further editing. You win, you lose....