Author Topic: Marriage of John Gray and Susan Flood  (Read 754 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Gray and Susan Flood
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The couple were christening children in Great Sampford in the 1740s and 50s. They christened a son, William Flood Gray, on the 4th of May 1755. There is a Susan Flood christened in Great Sampford in 1720. Can anyone find a marriage record?

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Gray and Susan Flood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Jno Grey and Mary Flood, married at Hempstead, St Andrew, 3 Oct. 1742. Hempstead is adjacent to Great Sampford

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks! That's great.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
Does it definitely say Mary? I have her down as Susan Gray on the baptisms.

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
The original record is difficult to read but i am fairly certain it is Mary definitely not Susan. The surname could be GRAY but I think it reads GREY, however that would be down to the personal interpretation of the person writing the entry

I have come across incorrect entries, I sometimes wonder how long after the event the register was actually completed especially before 1754.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I'll note it down as a possible.