Author Topic: Dentons of Abingdon/Sutton Wick  (Read 804 times)

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dentons of Abingdon/Sutton Wick
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm researching my friend's family tree and have hit a brick wall with this branch. I'm looking for a baptism and marriage record for William Denton born c.1795 in Sutton Wicks.
He married Amelia ? (probably between 1815 and 1820) and had a son William who was baptised 28 Sep 1820 in Saint Dusntan, Middlesex.

I also have the following children born in Abingdon from the censuses but with no baptism records:
George 1826
Sarah 1826
James 1829
Joseph 1833
Charles 1836

I'm also struggling with their son William (born in Middlessex) who married Ann Leonard. She was born c. 1825 in Abingdon but I have been unable to find a baptism record for her.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thank you!

Jess
ARTHUR (Oxon), PECKOVER, (Northants), DORSETT (Oxon, Bucks), PEACHEY (Oxon), LAWSON (Beds, Bucks), TANNER (Glos), PRATLEY (Oxon).

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dentons of Abingdon/Sutton Wick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
According to the Genuki site Sutton Wick is a township in the parish of Sutton Courtenay.

I can find 2 possible baptisms for a William Denton in Sutton Courtenay

23 November 1794 mother Sarah Denton

21 May 1797 Parents Richard Denton and Caroline (nee Lay)

There is also  a birth for Ann Eliza Leonard 28 September 1830 Lower Meeting House (Baptist) Abindon parents John and Sarah. They also had a Mary Ann born 13 September 1823. They were living in Ock Street.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

William Denton married Amelia Smith 22-7-1816 Abingdon St.Helens per the transcripts from the OFHS.
No sign of Amelia's bapt. in either St.Helens or in Sutton Courtenay.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
 Hi Alan and Emeltom, thank you both for your help! Very useful in filling the gaps!
ARTHUR (Oxon), PECKOVER, (Northants), DORSETT (Oxon, Bucks), PEACHEY (Oxon), LAWSON (Beds, Bucks), TANNER (Glos), PRATLEY (Oxon).

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 July 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Strangely there is a William Denton Sutton Wick born 1795 signing up for the Army.
21 5ft 6 3/4 fair complexion hazel eyes brown hair and round face.
born Berks Sutton wick weaver
He joined up at Northampton 5.6.1816 for 7 years in the 85th Foot soldiers.

Strange

Amelia's birth place is given as Marlborough Wilts on the 1851
Baptism Milly smith d of James and Sarah 30.3.1794 St Mary the Virgin Marlborough.

ps there is a tree on Ancestry gives his mother as Sarah which was a possible you already had and a Claude DeMenthon.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker

yes I'd seen the army record on Ancestry and thought it a bit odd as he signed up on the 5th June and married Amelia a month later..unless it's a different William which is a bit unlikely or perhaps he enlisted and then never went?
yes I've put his mother as Sarah but couldn't find any records to support the father as Claude DeMenthon
Thank you for your help! :)