Author Topic: Baker of Willenhall  (Read 3552 times)

Offline angel~eyes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • so many treasures yet to be discovered
    • View Profile
Baker of Willenhall
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered the brother of one of my ancestors' parents were Henry Taylor (key latch maker) and Louisa Baker and that they married in 1852 after my Great, Great Grandmother Harriet was born in 1850/51 in Willenhall. Harriet appears on the 1861/1871 census as their daughter but I cannot find them on the 1851 census, I may have found Henry as a lodger elsewhere but I cannot find Harriet or Louisa on the 1851 or Louisa on the 1841. My first thoughts were that Louisa b c 1833 was not Harriet's mother now I am wondering if there was no marriage as Louisa was under age and possibly sent away to have Harriet. Any help on this would be much appreciated x
Lounds/Loundes/Lowns/Lownds/Lowndes
Kendrick/Goodhead
Martin/Mocroft/Moorcroft
Finch/Boden/Brazenhall
Cadman/Vanes
Beddard/Goodman
Innocent/Lagoe
Taylor/Walker/Baker/Starkey/Buckley
Dudley, Willenhall, Mancetter, Atherstone, Measham, Church Broughton

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baker of Willenhall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for a Harriet Taylor, with a mother's maiden name of Baker in the March quarter 1853, Wolverhampton Registration District (I think this is the correct District covering Willenhall ?).

I know this seems a bit late from what you have said -- but this could be a late 1852 birth registered early the following year. It might be worth splashing out £6 on that PDF birth cert from the GRO -- just to check if it's the correct Harriet.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused here

You say that Henry is the brother of one of your ancestors so why would your great Grandmother Harriet be with them - surely she would be with her own parents? also I cannot find the marriage of Henry and Louisa in 1852 - there is a marriage in 1853 of a William Taylor who may have married either an Ann Jordan or a Hannah Baker but that is the only one even close

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of a Louisa Baker to a Henry Butler in Willenhall in 1852.

I can't seem to find them on either the 1861 or the 1871 Censuses. Do you have a Ref for them?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline angel~eyes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • so many treasures yet to be discovered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 July 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Please can you show me where this came from and the full ref thanks M x
Lounds/Loundes/Lowns/Lownds/Lowndes
Kendrick/Goodhead
Martin/Mocroft/Moorcroft
Finch/Boden/Brazenhall
Cadman/Vanes
Beddard/Goodman
Innocent/Lagoe
Taylor/Walker/Baker/Starkey/Buckley
Dudley, Willenhall, Mancetter, Atherstone, Measham, Church Broughton

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
If you are referring to the Butler/Baker marriage the GRO ref is June 1852 Wolverhampton 6b 484

They married at St Giles, Willenhall and an image of the marriage register can be seen on findmypast.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
There is a Leweser Baker aged 4 on the 1841 father George who might relate to the Butler/Baker marriage.

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
If she was born 1837 then she cannot have been 'of full age' as stated on the marriage entry in 1852 - or was 15 'of full age' in those days?

Emeltom

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
It does happen I know of one I found and she was 13 and they still stated 'of full age' George is listed as deceased on that marriage so he couldn't confirm it

Willow x