Author Topic: Baker of Willenhall  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baker of Willenhall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 July 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Angel Eyes -- I am really confused.

If you didn't know the ref of the marriage of Henry and Louisa how did you know they were married in 1852 (which they were)?

Also - do you think the birth of the Harriet registered in first quarter of 1853 (mentioned in my previous message) may be the correct one?

I think Willow's find of a 'Leweser' Baker with father George in 1841 might be a good bet as they were living in Willenhall and her mother's name was 'Harriotte'. (The youngest child looks like she is named Wimthread -- suspect it should be Winifred!

Clearly the Enumerator in this District didn't have to take a spelling test before being let loose on the census!!

Hence 'Leweser' named her first born daughter after her mother, which seems logical. The fact that she was only 4 in 1841 is a bit of a worry though!

The parents on that census - George Baker and Harriet (although spelt incorrectly) may have married in 1831 in Wolverhampton - maiden name of Harriet was Starkey.

I would suggest obtaining the birth cert for the 1853 Harriett -- and if you can -- access Staffordshire Marriages via the A - Z of Record Sets on Find My Past to see the marriage of Henry Butler and Louisa Baker in Willenhall in 1852.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 July 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have Harriet's marriage certificate? who did she marry? if so what does it say we maybe able to glean more information from that and work backwards

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 July 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Right is this the marriage for Harriet?

27.10.1879 St Stephens Willenhall

John Lowndes aged 30 locksmith of Willenhall father John Lowndes locksmith to Harriet Taylor aged 29 of Willenhall father Henry Taylor Jobbing smith

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
very strangely I have been looking for baptisms of children of Henry and Louisa and the only ones I have found are

20.3.1887 at St Stephens (address given as Primrose Street Willenhall George listed as a smith)

James Henry born 1.11.1880
Mary Maria born 14.4.1860

so where is Mary Maria on the 1861 census?

Willow x

Offline angel~eyes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • so many treasures yet to be discovered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the confusion I was asking for ref to birth for Harriet. My sister obtained James (her brothers) birth and his parents were down as Henry Taylor and Louisa Baker. So we knew them to be his parents a marriage has been found for Henry and Louisa in 1852. Harriet was married to John Lowndes her father is Henry Taylor. We have them on all census except for 1851 (although I found a Henry as a lodger that fit) I can't find out if Louisa was Harriets Mother as well but know Henry is her father. We are trying now to link Harriet to Louisa and get back with Louisa. Hope this is clearer M x
Lounds/Loundes/Lowns/Lownds/Lowndes
Kendrick/Goodhead
Martin/Mocroft/Moorcroft
Finch/Boden/Brazenhall
Cadman/Vanes
Beddard/Goodman
Innocent/Lagoe
Taylor/Walker/Baker/Starkey/Buckley
Dudley, Willenhall, Mancetter, Atherstone, Measham, Church Broughton

Offline angel~eyes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
The Lewisa sounds pretty good. Thank you for this and my sister and I agree it's possible to be Harriet baptised in 1853 . We had been puzzling over this lot a good many years x
Kendrick/Goodhead
Martin/Mocroft/Moorcroft
Finch/Boden/Brazenhall
Cadman/Vanes
Beddard/Goodman
Innocent/Lagoe

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Harriet 's birth was REGISTERED in the March quarter of 1853, Wolverhampton Registration District -- it is not a baptism I was talking about. (To be honest I haven't found a baptism, but someone else may do).

Unless a baptism IS found -- why not order that birth cert - it will only cost you £6. I know I keep nagging about this - but you were worried that Louisa may not have been Harriet's mother - this certificate will either confirm that she was - or we can 'eliminate it from enquiries.'

I am so sorry to keep banging on about it! (Now you can see what my husband has to put up with.)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline angel~eyes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 July 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you we will get that sent off. No I nag as well. I have been working on this link almost 40 years but no longer in the local area will see if my Sister can pop into the archives and look up baptism. Thanks again got the feeling  she was under age and that's why there's a problem x
Kendrick/Goodhead
Martin/Mocroft/Moorcroft
Finch/Boden/Brazenhall
Cadman/Vanes
Beddard/Goodman
Innocent/Lagoe

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 July 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
 I cannot find an 1852 marriage between a Henry Taylor and a Louisa Baker. In fact I cannot find a Henry Taylor marrying anyone called Louisa or Baker.

Could someone put me out of my misery and give me the marriage details please.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more