Author Topic: Trying to find a Curate  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Trying to find a Curate
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any possible help, or guidance, in trying to find information on the career of my wife's cousin, Albert Roberts. All I have is that he was a Curate at Pontlottyn, Glamorganshire in 1957. He died in 1966. From family recollections, he would appear to have been a member of a Holy Order, being remembered wearing a monk's habit. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a Curate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Is this him, born in 1882?

Deaths Dec 1966   
ROBERTS    ALBERT C    84    NEWPORT    8C   196

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
https://www.crockford.org.uk/     directory of clergy....hope that helps

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 18 09:27 BST (UK) »

bevj -
No, not him I'm afraid, but I have just discovered, helped by now learning his mother's maiden name, that Albert was born in 1919, registered in the Conway district, North Wales.
Jed59 -
Did search on Crockford, but unfortunately didn't it come up with him.
Thank you both for your responses.
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 July 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Which religious denomination?
Cowban

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone. Good point! I imagine it would have been The Anglican Church in Wales
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 July 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Not knowing anything about the place I had to look it up.
List on GEN UKI includes St. Tyfaelog, Pontlottyn, no foundation or closure dates given. When I selected Anglican from denominations list, St. Tyfaelog was filtered out, leaving 4 Church of Wales churches within radius of a mile. So what was the church of St. Tyfaelog?
Does Crockford's include Church of Wales clergy?
Might he have been a deacon at the time and not actually ordained?
Are you sure it was a monk's habit he wore and not the usual priest's cassock?
Cowban

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 July 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
The only real evidence for him is a photograph dated 1957 and describing him as Curate at Pontlottyn. and it was based on this that I, probably wrongly, assumed that as a Curate he would have been ordained.

My wife has a memory of him wearing what she took, perhaps as seen through the eyes of a child, to be a 'monk's outfit', but which could have been, as you suggest, a priest's robe.

No, thank you, Crockford's doesn't appear to list Church in Wales clergy, but you prompted me to look for any CiW information. Their home page has their contact details and also for Llandaff Diocese which, under further 'interrogation' my wife believes is where he was ordained.

St Tyfaelog is a Church of the Church in Wales and appears to be the only such Church in Pontlottyn. A couple of others are shown as being in the Pontlottyn Parish, but they are not in the town / village itself.

Anyway, thank you for all your pointers and I'll post the results (hopefully) from the CiW.
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 July 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Crockford's does include the Church in Wales, and Albert does appear in it. I think the problem was that the online version doesn't go back far enough.

I have the 1959-60 edition, but it only has a very little more than Cynfran has told us: it says he studied at St Michael's Theological College, Llandaff, and was ordained deacon in 1957 and priest in 1958. He was still curate in Pontlottyn, and it gives his address there (4 Referm Street).

Ideally we need to find his entry in an edition from the mid-1960s, to see if he went somewhere else. Failing that - Cynfran, can you tell us where he died, please? It might be possible to glean a few clues from death or probate records.

Another possibility might be looking at the Church Times archives, though there's no guarantee that he'd be mentioned. These are at the UK Press Online site (https://www.ukpressonline.co.uk/ukpressonline/open/index), and you can buy a 5-day pass from the Church Times site. Alternatively you can get a 30-day pass at UK Press Online which gives access to the other titles there as well.

Incidentally, it appears that many of the records of the Diocese of Llandaff are now at the National Library of Wales - https://archives.library.wales/index.php/diocese-of-llandaff-records
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk