Author Topic: single women going to Canada 1922  (Read 2774 times)

Offline hell o

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
single women going to Canada 1922
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
 My great-grandmother went to Canada in 1922 leaving her 2 children (1 adopted and my gran boarded-out) in Scotland.  I recently found poor law records (pre 1922) in Glasgow and Paisley which clearly show her profession - prostitution!  It also shows that she had been in prison and asylums, and unable to care for her daughter who was taken into care.  Her real name - Janet Keith, (her alias or working name was Catherine Stewart) was the name she used to travel to Canada. I can find no trace of her once she arrived in Canada under either of these names, I did find 3 Janet Keith's in the voters roll working as a domestic in late 1920's  I believe within 10 years she was a wealthy woman (she sent a letter and money to my gran).  I am guessing she continued her prostitution in Canada, which would make tracing her very difficult.  Anyone any ideas where I should look?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: single women going to Canada 1922
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
From the Winnipeg Free Press newspaper for April 1922 -- mentions Miss Biden's parties and that the first group sailing from Liverpool on April 1 with two more groups coming. Ranging in age from 18 to 38, mostly hail from Scotland and Ireland.  Going directly to households waiting to receive them as domestics.

The 1926 Census of the Prairie Provinces is due to be released this year, so you might be fortunate and find her still in the area.

Or, there is a death record in Ontario for a Janet Keith, born June 1888 (no specific date), died January 13, 1946.  Single, been in Canada for 25 years. Parents' names are given as William Keith and Janet Johnson. Informant is brother, William Keith.  Buried at St. John's Norway Cemetery in the east end of Toronto.  Died at Hillcrest Convalescent Home; residence noted as 1214 Gerrard Street East (14 Austin Terrace written above and struck out). 

Offline hell o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
Eileen Wilson thank you, thank you. you are spot on with both facts.  I have a document that mentions what I thought was Miss Bideau's party, and the death is my Janet Keith 100%! I knew her brother William was also in Canada, parents are correct and date of birth - 28th June 1888.
I knew she arrived in Canada but couldn't find a death/marriage for her, now I have I can look into the 25yrs she spent in Canada, Thank you again
Helen

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are obituaries for her in the Toronto Star (on Jan 15, 1946, page 19, and on Jan 16 1946, page 24) and Globe and Mail (Jan 16 1946, page 20)

Obits say that she died suddenly in Toronto on Jan 13 1946. Beloved sister of William Keith, of North Bay, dear friend of Mrs Margaret MacKay, of 1214 Gerrard St. E, in her 58th year. Interment St Johns Norway.

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
1946 Toronto Directory has Janet Keith, cook, Hillcrest Con Hosp, r 47 Austin Terr

https://archive.org/stream/torontocitydirectory1946#page/756/mode/2up

At 1214 Gerrard St E is Edward J MacKay and Emmanuel Allen.  (the street listings are at the end of the directory)

Looks like Hillcrest Convalescent Hospital is located at 47 Austin Terrace. 
https://archive.org/stream/torontocitydirectory1946#page/24/mode/2up

RK

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
I have also found a Miss Janet Keith working as a cook in Aurora (north of Toronto) in 1935 and 1945 (Voters' Lists).  List is strictly alphabetical with no addresses, so can't tell who she's living with.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 00:36 BST (UK) »
That explains why I can't find her in earlier Toronto directories!! :)

I was wondering if she had been living/working elsewhere before coming to Toronto.

RK

Offline hell o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eileen and runkitty for this info, it is very much appreciated. it makes me wonder if Janet DID go back to her old ways once in Canada.  Her place of death and residence does not suggest wealth. Janet came from a working class, stable background in Paisley. She had her first child in 1904 aged 16 and unmarried - he was adopted by a relative of father. 2nd son in 1908 died aged 6 months, my gran was born in 1908 when her mother was not yet 20yrs old. My gran was with her mother until aged about 7 years she was put on a boat by her mother and "boarded-out". Poor law records from Glasgow then Paisley give all this info - and more - her police record, her father paying to get early release from prison for his daughter to attend her mothers funeral, statement from Janet's mother....loads of info. You both have helped me find the end of Janet's story. thank you x

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Well, she had enough of an estate to have to be administered.  Notice in the Toronto Star in March 1947, that anyone having a claim to the estate to notify William Keith, Administrator for the Estate.

You can obtain a copy of the estate file from the Archives of Ontario:

Estate Files processed between 1931 and 1970 are with the Archives of Ontario. Estate files for 1931-1967 are available on microfilm in the Archives’ reading room only, and you can make copies from the film; you can also order copies of all or part of the file (see below). Files processed between 1968 and 1970 have not yet been microfilmed.

To order a copy of all or part of an estate file please contact us with: the estate file number; year; name of county/district; and name of the deceased. Please include: your name; address; telephone number; and a brief description of what documents you would like copied (eg. the entire file, only the will, etc.). Also, please indicate if you need the copies to be certified.

Archives of Ontario
134 Ian Macdonald Blvd.
Toronto, Ontario
M7A 2C5
reference "at" ontario.ca

In order to get the estate file #, will need to interlibrary loan the index film to a local library.  If you need help with this, let me know, as I can have it ordered in and get the # for you.  May take a few weeks to get the film:

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/microfilm/surrogate_court_york_t.aspx#index