Author Topic: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley  (Read 4299 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:53 BST (UK) »

You might want to follow up the following mention in the 1898 Police Gazette for Victoria Australia, it was a Mrs. A. McCarron of Ashley Street, Rangiora, Canterbury in New Zealand seeking the whereabouts of her brother Jerrard Gourley, Irish, about 60 years of age, stout build and pock marked, last heard of 6 years previously living near Melbourne and said to have valuable property ...

Further to above, note the following marriage of Alexander McCarron to Ann Jane Gourley of Gortin in 1875, father's forename difficult, but could be something like Jaret? 
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11219/8112773.pdf

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 July 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you both for the information.  Anne Jane Gourley married Alexander McCarron on 2nd Dec 1875, she had a brother called Gerard/ Jerrard. Her husband  ALEXANDER MCCARRON died on February 7, 1900, in Canterbury, New Zealand, when he was 52 years old.  What site is the 1898 police Gazette on so I may get a copy of it.  The death of Gerard would appear to be the same man.  It looks like a number of the Gourley family immigrated to Australia and New zealand.  maybe I would be better  trying to find the children's marriage records. 
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Only 2 g/stones as far as I can see!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFe9oGoMjg
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 July 18 15:58 BST (UK) »

... What site is the 1898 police Gazette on so I may get a copy of it.  The death of Gerard would appear to be the same man ...

Leaving aside the promising aspects of the Gazette notice - ie. its linkage of my posted 1875 marriage of Anne Jane (Gourley) McCarron to an Irish brother with a fairly distinctive name, of the right sort of age, in the Melbourne vicinity - I think that the administrator's targetting of a Derry newspaper for the 1911 notice could also be telling.

The Gazette notice  is available on the Ancestry website, pm me if you have trouble finding it.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
    112, 158    McCARRON Alexander and Ann Jane nee Gourley    Clare
Oh thank you both for the information.  Anne Jane Gourley married Alexander McCarron on 2nd Dec 1875, she had a brother called Gerard/ Jerrard. Her husband  ALEXANDER MCCARRON died on February 7, 1900, in Canterbury, New Zealand, when he was 52 years old.  What site is the 1898 police Gazette on so I may get a copy of it.  The death of Gerard would appear to be the same man.  It looks like a number of the Gourley family immigrated to Australia and New zealand.  maybe I would be better  trying to find the children's marriage records. 

http://cotyrone.com/births/1stCastledergBaptisms1823-1883.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 03:21 BST (UK) »
Gerard Gourley, sister was looking for him 2 years before he died in 1901 while he was living in Victoria Australia.  Gerard was married twice and Mary is the daughter of his first wife.  Mary was left a share of the will, but she or anyone on her behalf did not get in touch with the administrators of the will.  'It is therefore the intention of the curator to proceed with the will', as though Mary had died before her father.  The newspaper article was written on the 10 December 1910, so 9 years after Gerard's death.  It looks like Gerrard had lost contact with his family in Ireland and sister in New Zealand.

The Victoria Wills & Probate Transcription that is on Find My Past I got stuck on viewing a copy of the will online. copyright image removed

It says that:
Only some wills and probate records are digitised but records 1841-1925 can be viewed online;

So I should be able to view the record online. The link takes me to the two records below for Gerard Gourley and then I get stuck.   

Gerard GOURLEY Date of grant: 25 Sep 1901; Date of death: 27 Aug 1901; Occupation: Farmer; Residence: Bulla

DIGITISED ITEM   Digitised
DATE:1901
SERIES:Probate and Administration Files
AGENCY:Master of the Supreme Court
CITATION:VPRS 28/ P0  unit 1027,  item 80/450

Gerard GOURLEY Date of grant: 25 Sep 1901; Date of death: 27 Aug 1901; Occupation: Farmer; Residence: Bulla

DIGITISED ITEM   Digitised
DATE:1901
SERIES:Probate and Administration Files
AGENCY:Master of the Supreme Court
CITATION:VPRS 28/ P2  unit 592,  item 80/450

Can someone help me.  And thank you ever so much with all your help.
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that the relevant experts would frequent the Donegal subforum, you may want to consider posting to the Australian area of the forum for that specific query (and to find out about Gerard in Australia more generally since things have clearly taken that direction), you can always link back to this one for background.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 September 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
I am still searching for my GrGr Grandparents death records On Find My Past  the following records refer to Gerrard, as you an see spelt a number of ways

Gerrard Gourley  1858   Land and Estates  Clonleigh, Donegal
GERRARD GOURLEY: Role occupier Year 1858 Townland GORTIN SOUTH: Civil Parish CLONLEIGH Barony RAPHOE, NORTH Poor Law Union STRABANE, Co Donegal. He leased the land from PETER B. MAXWELL Griffith's Valuation 1847-1864

Gerard Gourley    1871  Courts and Legal   Donegal
Samuel Cunningham, collector of Poor Rates, Gerrard Gourley owed £1.19s. 0d Role, Defendant, Court Lifford, Residence, Gorton South, Co Donegal, Ireland, Made 11 Oct 1870

Garrard Gourley   1879  Courts and Legal   Donegal
non payment of £1.1.0 Poor Rate up to to 14 May 1879. Order made 22 Oct 1878. https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=IRE/PETTYS/4619496/00390/2177199

Gerard's name

Recorded on the marriage cert of his daughter Sarah Gourley, living at Bishop Street, Londonderry; Gerard Gourley,  Farmer;  date married  28 Mar 1873

Recorded on the marriage cert of his daughter Ann Jane Gourley, living at Gortin, Donegal; Jarot  Gourley,  looks like deceased on  married cert;  date married 2nd  Dec 1875

Recorded on the marriage cert of his son Robert Gourley, living at Kirkminster, Lifford, Donegal; Jered Gourley, Farmer;   marriage date  6th April 1877

Recorded on the death cert of his daughter Sarah Gourley (Morrison) living in Scotland;  Jerrold Gourley, Farmer; deceased;  death cert date 11 Mar 1884

Recorded on the marriage cert of his son James Gourley, living at Knockrawer, Castlefin, Donegal;  Jarard Gourley, Farmer;   married on  27 Aug 1913

Two queries is he  likely to have been alive in 1879 as he owed £1.1.0 Poor Rate up to  14 May 1879 or could his name be still on the record as the head of the house and already have died?    What credence can i give to Gerard's details on his children's marriage certs. 

Thanks for any information received.  Angela