Author Topic: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley  (Read 4300 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 Gerrard Gourley was born abt 1800 in Clonleigh, Donegal, the son of John. He had three sons and six daughters with Margaret Sterrit. The children were babtised in Ballindrait Presbyterian Church, Parish of Clonleigh, Co Donegal.  Their lived at Gortin.  Margaret Sterrit, his wife was babtised in Inver, Co Donegal on the 6th Sep 1807.  Gerrard Gourley 2nd  marriage was to Jane Rippy, marriage registered in Urney, Strabane, Tyrone, on 6 June 1850.  Gerard's second wife,  Jane Rippy, a widow died on 1 June 1902 in Knockdrawer, Castlefin, Donegal, when she was 71 years old from Acute Bronchitus.  She lived with her son James who was present at her death.  Apart from my Gr Great  Grandmother's Margaret Gourley, death record in 1899.  I cant locate either of the parents or childrens death certificates. 
Thank you for any help

Spouse & Children

Margaret Sterrit
1807–

Eleanor Gourley
1820–

Matilda Gourley
1822–

Margaret Gourley
1825–1899

John Gourley
1827–1867

Mary Gourley
1830–

Charles Gourley
1832–

Gerrard Gourley
1835–

Susanan Gourley
1838–

Ann Jane Gourley
1840–
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Death results for Gourley   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01md6/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
The  Districts are

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
I think District is Strabane!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 July 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
 Birth, Marriage and Death results for Gourley  Area - Strabane

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01md7/

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 July 18 07:12 BST (UK) »

I cant locate either of the parents or childrens death certificates. 

Bear in mind death registration only started in Ireland in 1864. If any of the family died before that, there’s no death certificate to find.
Elwyn

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 July 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information.  Would Ballindrait Presbyterian Church hold records of deaths before 1864.
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 July 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Would Ballindrait Presbyterian Church hold records of deaths before 1864.

No. As a general rule Presbyterians don’t keep burial records, and looking at the PRONI guide, none are mentioned for Ballindrait. Unless there is a gravestone, or a mention in a local paper, there may be no record of a pre 1864 death at all.

Ballindrait Presbyterian has the following early records (copies held at PRONI):

Baptisms, 1819-61 and 1873-1923; marriages, 1827-8 and 1845-1901.
Elwyn

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
You might want to follow up the following mention in the 1898 Police Gazette for Victoria Australia, it was a Mrs. A. McCarron of Ashley Street, Rangiora, Canterbury in New Zealand seeking the whereabouts of her brother Jerrard Gourley, Irish, about 60 years of age, stout build and pock marked, last heard of 6 years previously living near Melbourne and said to have valuable property.

Similar follow-up maybe for the Gerard Gourley mentioned in a Derry newspaper in January-February 1911, he was named in a notice relating to the administration of his estate and was described as late of Bulla, Victoria, Australia, having died on 27 August 1901 at O'Shannessy Street, Sunbury (Melbourne) - the notice mentioned a daughter Mary by his first marriage.