Author Topic: Northumberland & County Durham migration in the 1700's  (Read 2709 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland & County Durham migration in the 1700's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 July 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
Ok. Had a quick look at this - a bit of a red herring.

Hel eaves all his things to his neices, cousins etc. Doesn't seem to have  any children.

Also on there is the will of a John Dixon of Shotley. It says 1764, but if you check out all the pages, it seems to be re-written in 1769. Is this the same family?
There's also an adminstration bond for your William 1769. Not looked at that. You might have already seen that.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Finding my roots honors my family and is rewarding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
I saw the will of John Dixon of Shotley.  Thanks for pointing it out and also taking the time to search around on my behalf!  That 1750 will for John Dixon names his wife Isabel and sons George, Edward, Joseph "of Stanhope," and William.  The sons of John Dixon that are listed as baptisms in the church register from Shotley are Joseph (1715), and William (1720).  Then in 1726 there is a death of John Dixon son of John, which would explain why there is not a son John Dixon in that 1750 will.  William is my 5th great grandfather ("son of Jno. (John) Dixon" in his baptism record in 1720).  Edward Dixon is not in the baptism records, nor is George, however, in 1740 begin a series of baptisms of John, George and Joseph, sons of Edward Dixon.  I assume that the will names the sons in order of age.  This would mean that the older 2 sons were probably baptized elsewhere, and they moved to Shotleyfield around 1715 or before, or the earlier baptisms were simply not recorded (the register for earlier years seems to be incomplete, as it contains far fewer records than in later years).  Then, there are baptisms for children of an Edward Dixon starting in 1740.  That timing seems to jive with him being an older son, as that is only 20 years after the birth of William...I assume that Edward was older than 20 when married, which as you mention seems to be the custom at that time, probably to help the parents raise the younger children and help the older parents with farm work, etc.  Also, the children of William Dixon include Isabel, John, Joseph and George, all names repeated in John's 1750 will.  As we know, they often named their children after parents, then uncles of the children (siblings of the parents).  There is a death of Isabel "wife of John Dixon of Shotleyfield" in 1751, which is after John's 1750 will was made, but there is no record of an update to that will after her death, although it really would not be necessary as the will simply calls for a regular stipend to be paid to Isabel until her death.    Also, John's marriage to Isabel is not in the Shotley registers, I believe we discussed this already, as you noticed a marriage of a John Dixon to Isabel in the register of St. Andrews Bywell.  This also jives with no baptism either in Shotley records for the oldest sons Edward and George.  I need to search for a baptism of a George and Edward Dixon shortly after the marriage of John and Isabel there in Bywell.

John Dixon's will you mention was written in 1750 and probate in 1764, I believe.  The burial of "John Dixon of Shotleyfield" was in 1763, as recorded in the Shotley register.  Probate in 1764 would be reasonable.

The admin bond you see for William Dixon of Shotley in 1769 is indeed for my ancestor, who died in 1769.  He died without a will, and the record you cite mentions that his widow Elizabeth must submit an inventory of the assets of the late William Dixon within 6 months.  Indeed, there is a much earlier marriage of William Dixon to Elizabeth in the Shotley register, so this all jives.

Bottom line, I have a pretty good degree of confidence that the 1750 will is that of John Dixon, my ancestor, especially since his son William is also of Shotleyfield, which is a small hamlet about a half mile south of the St. Andrews Shotley chapel on Kiln Pit Hill.  I feel that the marriage of John to Isabel Dixon and the baptisms of older brothers George and Edward Dixon either occurred elsewhere (perhaps Bywell), or were simply not recorded in the Shotley register since I noticed that the records in the Shotley register were rather sparse in the years prior to 1715 or so (perhaps they were not good about recording everything at that early date), and there is nothing in the register before the late 1600's.  Any further thoughts would be welcome, and thanks again!
Dixon family from Northumberland and Durham, then Staffordshire and Shropshire, then Liverpool, then Illinois, USA. Maiden surnames of those married into my direct Dixon family line over in England include Philipson, Marshall, Westgarth, and Keeling.

Frohock family from Cambridgeshire, then USA (PA, NC, TN, KY, then IL).

Horat family from canton Schwyz, Switzerland, then Illinois, USA

Fearno/Fernow/Ferneau family from Germany, then USA (NY, WV, IL).

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 18 06:47 BST (UK) »
JACKPOT!!!!  Goldie61, I have to thank you!  So the marriage we discussed already for John Dixon to Isabel was at Bywell St Peter in 1705.  After that, in 1706 there is a baptism of John Dixon (he died in 1726 as a young boy as I mentioned in prior post), then in 1708 for George Dixon, son of John and Isabel, then in 1711 for Edward Dixon, son of john and Isabel.  This all jives perfectly with the fact that there is no marriage in the Shotley register for John Dixon of Shotley and his wife Isabel, nor a baptism for the older sons John, George and Edward in the shotley register.  The baptisms of living children George, then Edward in Bywell, then Joseph and William in Shotley, coincides perfectly with the order of the children in the 1750 will of John Dixon of Shotleyfield, which names his wife Isabel, followed by George, Edward, Joseph, then William.  The dates for marriage, births and deaths all seem in order.  I feel pretty confident that this is the John Dixon who is my ancestor!  What are your thoughts?
Dixon family from Northumberland and Durham, then Staffordshire and Shropshire, then Liverpool, then Illinois, USA. Maiden surnames of those married into my direct Dixon family line over in England include Philipson, Marshall, Westgarth, and Keeling.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
It  does sound as if the 'jigsaw' all fits together nicely Scott.
The family moving from Bywell to Shotley around 1715, perhaps to a larger farm as the family grew.
I'd agree that named children in a will are invariably written from the eldest to the youngest.

Do you know who the local land owner was around there? The farms would no doubt have been  leased, and you may be able to find records of these if you're interested.
My family farmed at Macclesfield Forest in Cheshire (then a hunting forest), on land owned by the Earls of Stanley. I managed to track down 'rent rolls' and 'surveys' from the 1600s and 1700s, to find my family named in them, the places where they farmed named, and how much they paid. It was a fairly complicated exercise, but well worth it in the end.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
found a nice little map here which shows both Bywell and Shotley Bridge.
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9673

Not very far away at all!
Your family may have been at any of these little places at some time.

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very thorough reply!  I am VERY INTERESTED in how one might get a hold of the "rent rolls" and "surveys" you mention in your reply.  I am pretty sure that quite a few of my earliest ancestors rented farms.

I have an update: I went to the Family History center near me so I could see the online Bishop's Transcripts for St. Peter's Bywell, to look at the records mentioned in the index.  All the records from  Bywell (for the marriage, and all the baptisms), describe John Dixon as being "of Newlands."  That hamlet is NOT in the parish of Bywell.  Rather, it is in Shotley parish, and is. 4 miles east of Shotleyfield, which is where John's son William (my 5th great grandfather) lived most of his life.  Interestingly, Newlands is also immediately north of Panshields Farm, which is mentioned in several of the earliest records for other Dixon's in the Shotley church registers, which date back to the just before 1700.  It appears that my earliest-known Dixon ancestors mostly lived in this Newlands/Panshields/Shotleyfield locale.  This also makes a little more sense of the fact that the later records (1829 and later) of the descendants of John Dixon and his son William all of a sudden show up living in the locale "Snows Green" for most of the records at that time.  Just south of Panshields farm is a very old bridge that takes one across the River Dewent into County Durham, and Snow's green is not far down the road.  I hadn't noticed the road and bridge before, and assumed that all travelers had to travel SW from there to cross the river at the city of Shotley Bridge.  Instead, they could quickly get from the Panshields area to Snows Green, which is of the parish Medomsley.  I have read more than once that back then people got around more than we often assume they did.  Still, it certainly would be more likely that a good many of them rarely ventured too far from home.  The map you shared is nice. I've seen other maps showing Panshields Farm (which still exists) as well as Newlands, etc.  Also, the current Google maps shows them, and Panshields Farm is marked.

Given that Shotley chapel is so small (and also fell into ruin in the mid 1700's due to mine subsidence and had to be rebuilt), I can imagine why especially marriages might take place in the much larger and nicer Bywell church, and also, Shotley parish was formed out of Bywell.  I might find some additional, later records out of Medomsley church. and perhaps even out of Wittonstall, which is a chapel that was built later on but is immediately north of Newlands.  Untill I discovered the Newlands records yesterday, I wasn't sure if those were siblings of my direct ancestors living there in Panshields, but now I am somewhat confident they were uncles, siblings, close cousins living there just down the road.  For example, there is a William Dixon "of Panshields" who was married at Shotley chapel in 1705, the same year that my ancestor John Dixon "of Newlands" married Isabel Philipson at Bywell.  William and John were probably brothers.  Before this new "of Newlands" mention, I wasn't sure if this William Dixon was a close relative or not.
Thanks again!

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
My first stop would be the Manorial Documents register on The NAtional Archives website
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/finding-records-in-discovery-and-other-databases/manorial-documents-register/

Unfortunately, it looks as though Durham is not yet digitised, and only viewable at TNA in person.
Perhaps Durham Record Office would be able to help.
I've always found Record Offices very helpful - either by ringing them up, or sending an email with a query.
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/
It never hurts to ask!
You need to know who the landowners were in the 1600s and 1700s for the areas you're interested in.

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 August 18 06:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info!  My ancestors primarily are from Northumberland, which I see is in process with the digitization for that county, but not yet finished and not available online.

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 February 23 03:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a John Dixon to an Isabel Philipson 8th May 1705 at Bywell - about 6 miles away from Shotley I believe. No places of residence given on the transcription - it would pay you to view the entry in the register, although freereg usually transcribe these if they're given in the register.
YES, this is my ancestor, as the names of their children match up in the Shotley records.  The image of the original marriage record from 1705 describes John Dixon "OF NEWLANDS," which was in Bywell parish even though it is VERY close to Shotleyfield.  Interestingly, the owner of Newlands farm was James Radcliffe, the Earl of Derwentwater who was beheaded in early 1716 for treason by supporting the Jacobite uprising of 1715.  John Dixon moved from Newlands to nearby Shotleyfield in 1715. Perhaps he wanted to avoid problems by moving out of Newlands! I can't read much of the will you mention from an earlier John Dixon of Ryding, Bywell, year 1684.  I'm pretty decent at reading ancient cursive, but whoever wrote it had almost unreadable handwriting!  I see he gave money to a long list of people, but I don't see any Dixons receiving part of his estate. Mostly to Margaret Taylor and family? Very confused!  I have also since learned that the descendants of the very early Dickson clan of Antons Hill and Belchester in Scotland just north of the border married into the Sir Martin Hunter family of Medomsley in the late 1700's. Medomsley is very close to Shotley.  Maybe the Dickson/Dixon clan descendants had a connection that brought them from Scotland to the Shotley/Bywell/Newlands/Medomsley area!