Author Topic: Where was/is this place ?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was/is this place ?
« on: Monday 16 July 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
I have a baptism at Kingston nr. Ivybridge. The place of abode is given as Walkspool. Can anyone shed any light as to where this was,  or is please?

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Where was/is this place ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 18 18:35 BST (UK) »

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malky, have contacted FHS and await reply.  Think Walkspool was either a farm or a house.
Trish

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
You don't say when this is or whether this is an original entry or a transcription.

I wonder if it could be a cottage by the side of a stream/river where sheep were dipped  ie  a Washpool.

They don't always show up on old maps.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 Census a family called Pierce was living in Walkspool. The houses before and after are given as Kingston village. I have found mention of it on google ( someone involved in the village apparently still lives there, as it is mentioned in a village community paper but have been unable to find the reference when I go on to the website). My ancestor was a farm labourer and place of birth for one child was Marwell which is on the map and two others Walkspool, Thomas Roach possibly lived on the premises where he worked (just a theory).

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you go to this site; http://www.kingstonlocalhistory.co.uk/ and click on Archive Contents (Left Hand Menu) this opens a PDF document.
Use your browser's Find on this Page function by entering Walkspool, mine (Chrome) found 4 instances 3 of them refer to one entry HS3 Walkspool to the Bungalow the other one refers to KP3/71 3photos 1938 and a letter dated 1907.

I would suggest an email to the Archivist found under Committee members might get you a look at the photos and a possible location  which would enable you to find it on an old map and a look at the location now on Streetview
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi many thanks for your help. I have been researching using my iPad which doesn’t have a search function. Will check it out tomorrow on my laptop.
Trish

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 July 18 05:58 BST (UK) »
This is the property currently shown as Walkspool on street view http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mdt/   on the south side of Kingston 

I  think this is the same property on the 1885 map https://maps.nls.uk/view/106007483#zoom=4&lat=10002&lon=2639&layers=BT

Kay

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 July 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
I have now found the references to Walkspool through the FHS archives. many thanks, and also viewed the photo and map, another big thanks.
 From the FHS Website  I will order some booklets of old Kingston.
The house appears too big to be a farm labourers cottage but too small for a Farm. The theory of the WASHPOOL is one I will check on. The 1885 maps show that quite near to the property were two pools shaped in an L. also a smaller circular pool. If it was a tied cottage it could have belonged to Okenbury Farm. Will have to investigate.
Once again thank you all for your help.

Patricia