Author Topic: WDYTYA Lee Mack  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Lee Mack
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 July 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
I caught the repeat last night and thoroughly enjoyed the journey.  What surprised me though was he referred to his "Mechanical Engineer" ancestor as being middle class, whereas all the engineers I've ever known, who had served an apprenticeship and worked on the shop floor, classed themselves as (upper) working class.  During the twentieth century, there were at least two pay grades for those shop floor time served fitters; those who trained for 5 years on the shop floor and also attended day release college plus evening classes and a higher grade being those who finished their standard training and then attended an extra two years at evening classes held in the local college
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 July 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
I'd never heard of him, either - it was the Southport connection that drew me in. I did get a bit fed up of his constant quips throughout, and like others felt the findings seemed a bit muddled, and that dear Delia/Bridget shouldn't have been that hard to find! ( I immediately throught of the Canadian censuses, so helpful at one point with some of my mob). I'd also puzzled a bit at the insistence on "middle class" - but, hey, who cares?
As some one else said, the day they make the WDYTYA? programme around DNA - I quit watching! "Real" records are interesting - waiting for the response to a swab sample makes paint drying seem worth watching.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 July 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
An online tree has Bridget 'Delia' marrying Richard Passau, 1912, Montréal, Québec.
JJ

1921 Canada, Ancestry she is listed as Delia.. husband ‘Michael Preteau’ but to be fair the wring is not clear on the image. They have 4 children. Her husband is listed a being born in Ireland.

I think the 1921 entry actually says Richard Presau, not Michael Preteau; and the 1912 marriage is on Ancestry. The 1912 entry says that Richard Pussau married Bridget O'Farrell (although she signed as Farrell), daughter of Thomas O'Farrell and Mary Devaney, which fits exactly.

The 1921 census and online tree have three children in common, so I think there were five. It looks as if at least four have now died, although the one born in 1921 may still be alive.

The online tree also suggests that Richard Pa/ussau/w moved to New Jersey where he died in 1931; Delia remarried in 1932; and then died in 1936.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this ! Lee Mack makes his living as a stand-up comedian/ writer/ part of a long standing comedy programme. There`s a lot more investigating he could do if he was so inclined.

Richard, I clicked on your 64 regency ancestors. Goodness me, you`ve put a lot of work in, I`ve bookmarked the page for further reading !!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
I like Lee Mack on WILTY he's very quick and witty. I enjoyed the episode but wondered about a couple of things, whether a soldier would really be fighting then entertaining the troops and whether there really was a significant family connection to the Irish Civil War based on the date of the shooting incident.

Blue

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
Richard, I clicked on your 64 regency ancestors. Goodness me, you`ve put a lot of work in, I`ve bookmarked the page for further reading !!

Thanks. A never-to-be-finished-work if ever there was one.
R
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
I like Lee Mack on WILTY he's very quick and witty. I enjoyed the episode but wondered about a couple of things, whether a soldier would really be fighting then entertaining the troops and whether there really was a significant family connection to the Irish Civil War based on the date of the shooting incident.

Blue

One of my school teachers was a seaman during WWII and from the stories he regaled us with I can assure you that when the chips are down everyone does what they can to defend their unit. War isn't a 9 o'clock to 5 o'clock job, the men sleep on a rota, or don't sleep at all, and if the men with the guns fall somebody has to replace them.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke